The Student Room Group

Restarting university from first year without transferring?

I just finished my second week of my second year at uni. I study English Literature. My university has a set up where you take three subjects in your first year, then continue on with two of those to level two and pick up a new one at level one. English Literature is a strange course where you're expected to take extra Language and Linguistic courses which I decided to leave until second year to allow me more flexibility in my first year. I didn't especially enjoy my first year, but when I asked my adviser, he told me to stick with it because it was likely the unusual course structure of first year that was putting me off, and not the actual subject at university.

However, I am now two weeks in and I am still finding no improvement in my enjoyment of English Literature. I think I've given it enough time to know that I'm not liking any aspect of the course. However, I'm finding that I greatly prefer the Language and Linguistic courses I'm having to take at level one this year. I could absolutely see myself taking these courses further, but I will not be able to do so unless I repeat my first year. I have no issues with the university itself: I like it here, and I don't feel particularly inclined to reapply anywhere else. It's just that I find the other course to be much more interesting and I would much prefer studying it over English Literature.

Will this be possible? I'm worried that two weeks in might be too late to make the change, and I don't want them to throw me off my current course if I'm not able to repeat my first year. I thought it would be best to wait a little while and try it out so I was absolutely sure that I wasn't happy with my current course before I start making more appointments with advisers. I'm not sure how to go about alerting the student loans company of the change even if it was allowed. I'm a Scottish student studying in Scotland and I know that I have an extra year of finance if I need it. I'm just not sure if I've left it too late or if I'll be allowed to stay on as a repeat first year.

Can anyone help?
Universities do allow transfers like this but only your uni know whether they can/will accept you onto the other course. In fact transfers often require restarting as first year as the foundations of the course aren't covered if you go straight into second year.

Contact the other department asap to ask if it will be possible (they may be already oversubscribed so not accepting any more students). If you ask the admissions tutor or administrator they will know the procedures for internal transfers. They will also be able to advise about what you need to do about finance. Don't wait as they are unlikely to accept a transfer this year if it is well into the term. At my uni you have to apply within the first three weeks.
Original post by Demon King
I just finished my second week of my second year at uni. I study English Literature. My university has a set up where you take three subjects in your first year, then continue on with two of those to level two and pick up a new one at level one. English Literature is a strange course where you're expected to take extra Language and Linguistic courses which I decided to leave until second year to allow me more flexibility in my first year. I didn't especially enjoy my first year, but when I asked my adviser, he told me to stick with it because it was likely the unusual course structure of first year that was putting me off, and not the actual subject at university.

However, I am now two weeks in and I am still finding no improvement in my enjoyment of English Literature. I think I've given it enough time to know that I'm not liking any aspect of the course. However, I'm finding that I greatly prefer the Language and Linguistic courses I'm having to take at level one this year. I could absolutely see myself taking these courses further, but I will not be able to do so unless I repeat my first year. I have no issues with the university itself: I like it here, and I don't feel particularly inclined to reapply anywhere else. It's just that I find the other course to be much more interesting and I would much prefer studying it over English Literature.

Will this be possible? I'm worried that two weeks in might be too late to make the change, and I don't want them to throw me off my current course if I'm not able to repeat my first year. I thought it would be best to wait a little while and try it out so I was absolutely sure that I wasn't happy with my current course before I start making more appointments with advisers. I'm not sure how to go about alerting the student loans company of the change even if it was allowed. I'm a Scottish student studying in Scotland and I know that I have an extra year of finance if I need it. I'm just not sure if I've left it too late or if I'll be allowed to stay on as a repeat first year.

Can anyone help?

1. You need to ask asap. Monday. Do not hang around. They either will or will not. Its the deparment you wish to transfer to that is important.
2. You need to check with the Uni what the withdrawal terms are (they should be on the website). Most unis allow you to withdraw without charge in the first 2-3 weeks. By doing so its possible to aboid being charged fees. It appears to vary between Unis. Scitish Unis appear to give you longer. St Andrews gives 4 weeks and Glasgow gives till 1 Dec. If you have to withdraw. Leaving early will keeo your student finance intact.
3. It is just something to take into consideration because you should only do the degree that interests you (assuming you have the grades).

Quick Reply

Latest