Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice needed for UCAS applications and admissions (Resitting A2 exams) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    so to jump right in, I finished my AS exams with pretty poor grades; I definitely asked too much of myself too quickly in the subjects I picked. CCDE in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively.
    Going into year 13 I knew I had to step up my game in order to get on to the course I wanted to do (Mechanical engineering), and I had already shown myself and teachers that I was capable of achieving the appropriate grades.
    I decided that I'd resit 5 of my 7 core AS exams (non-practical) and drop Biology, with an aim of achieving ABB (A in maths) overall.
    I had put in a lot of work during the end of this year and I genuinely felt like I was capable of achieving this - if not higher - by the end of my A2 exams, although I had completely bombed most of my A2 units to a certain extent when it came to exam day.
    In the end I had managed to improve to ABB at AS (A in chemisty), however my poor A2 results meant I had CCD again (Chemistry, maths and physics respectively), and 9 UMS off of a B in chemistry.
    I very much feel like I am back to square 1, and I have been playing the catchup game ever since AS. Because of this I decided I'd carry on with my studies and resit the A2 exams with my primary goal of matching my AS grades and an aspirational goal of an A* in maths.
    My college wont let me attend lessons due to the new spec being introduced this year, and so I am home studying/revising and entering as an external candidate. I therefore do not have any guidance regarding UCAS applications My college had said my predicted grades of ABB (A in maths) would remain the same.
    My questions are:
    Would universities asking for AAB/ABB deem my application to be an uncompetitive one due to poor A2 grades or are they more likely to base their decision based on what I have shown at AS? I already had offers from Nottingham and Leicester (firm and insurance, likely to be the same again this year), although missed them due to my A2's. Would they take my application as seriously if they saw I had applied to them last year as well?
    Secondly, in terms of UCAS, would it be appropriate for me to briefly say my situation in my personal statement? I am aware poor A2 grades would raise eyebrows for admission teams and I need to show that I genuinely am committed without sounding generic.
    Thanks a lot for reading, I held this back after results day because I was too upset to post something like this, but now I'm back in the studying zone. Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone is in a similar situation I will try and answer!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parametric)
    Hi guys,
    so to jump right in, I finished my AS exams with pretty poor grades; I definitely asked too much of myself too quickly in the subjects I picked. CCDE in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology respectively.
    Going into year 13 I knew I had to step up my game in order to get on to the course I wanted to do (Mechanical engineering), and I had already shown myself and teachers that I was capable of achieving the appropriate grades.
    I decided that I'd resit 5 of my 7 core AS exams (non-practical) and drop Biology, with an aim of achieving ABB (A in maths) overall.
    I had put in a lot of work during the end of this year and I genuinely felt like I was capable of achieving this - if not higher - by the end of my A2 exams, although I had completely bombed most of my A2 units to a certain extent when it came to exam day.
    In the end I had managed to improve to ABB at AS (A in chemisty), however my poor A2 results meant I had CCD again (Chemistry, maths and physics respectively), and 9 UMS off of a B in chemistry.
    I very much feel like I am back to square 1, and I have been playing the catchup game ever since AS. Because of this I decided I'd carry on with my studies and resit the A2 exams with my primary goal of matching my AS grades and an aspirational goal of an A* in maths.
    My college wont let me attend lessons due to the new spec being introduced this year, and so I am home studying/revising and entering as an external candidate. I therefore do not have any guidance regarding UCAS applications My college had said my predicted grades of ABB (A in maths) would remain the same.
    My questions are:
    Would universities asking for AAB/ABB deem my application to be an uncompetitive one due to poor A2 grades or are they more likely to base their decision based on what I have shown at AS? I already had offers from Nottingham and Leicester (firm and insurance, likely to be the same again this year), although missed them due to my A2's. Would they take my application as seriously if they saw I had applied to them last year as well?
    Secondly, in terms of UCAS, would it be appropriate for me to briefly say my situation in my personal statement? I am aware poor A2 grades would raise eyebrows for admission teams and I need to show that I genuinely am committed without sounding generic.
    Thanks a lot for reading, I held this back after results day because I was too upset to post something like this, but now I'm back in the studying zone. Any advice would be appreciated and if anyone is in a similar situation I will try and answer!
    They would more likely base is off of your A2 grades. When you say situation in your personal statement, its supposed to be a positive thing about your dedication towards your subject, its more relevant that your referee mention that. You need to speak to all of the universities you are interested in and ask which circumstances they will accept A2 resits as some will only consider you if you have extenuating circumstances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.