The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

So it looks as though some rejections have been given out today :/
Original post by GraduateMed
Hi,

My background is in biomedical science, where i got a high 2.1, i also scored 16.7 on the BMAT. I've also worked as a HCA for 2 years.
Today, i have had the misfortune of finding out that i have been rejected from BSMS :-(.
What could be the reason?

Wow, you literally mirror my application! Graduated with 2.1 in Biochem, HCA for a year, onto MSc now and got 16.7 on BMAT but haven't heard yet. I didn't submit any contextual data evidence either. I guess Ill be rejected too and I cant stomach the thought of a 5th med application next year, BSMS was my only hope this year. I just think a lot more people are applying here knowing the BMAT cut off wasnt high but increase in applications increased the cut off anyway, reckon its around 17. So disheartening knowing that you're meant for med but can't get a look in :frown:
[QUOTE=Usernamesarefull;68958020]Wow, you literally mirror my application! Graduated with 2.1 in Biochem, HCA for a year, onto MSc now and got 16.7 on BMAT but haven't heard yet. I didn't submit any contextual data evidence either. I guess Ill be rejected too and I cant stomach the thought of a 5th med application next year, BSMS was my only hope this year. I just think a lot more people are applying here knowing the BMAT cut off wasnt high but increase in applications increased the cut off anyway, reckon its around 17. So disheartening knowing that you're meant for med but can't get a look in :frown:

Yeah I feel crushed. I have no hope with my three other applications, a BSMS appears to have the most relaxed requirements.
I'm also dreading reapplying to medicine again next year.
Original post by Jorav
I'm not too sure how to read that.

If it's
1) " Why they won't consider it?"
then the answer is that they just say they do not require international students to sit any entrance exams.

2) "Why? they won't consider it. " ( meaning why would you bother emailing them if they don't look at any entrance exams)
then my answer is : I really want to go to BSMS as most of you do I guess. And I have already received one rejection so I need this. My hope is that even if they say no we cannot look at it that in the back of their minds they sense my desperation.

I'm an an international student too and on my BMAT form I had ticked BSMS. I didn't know that they don't want our BMAT scores, so I mailed them asking if that in anyway might affect my application. They've replied back saying that they don't consider BMAT scores for international students even if they receive them.
Original post by Jorav
awww. Okay... thanks. Also I saw in another thread that we don't do the MMI? and it's a panel interview instead? is this true?

Yes, for international students there is a panel interview.
I have 17.3, do you guys think that's enough for this year? :s-smilie:
Original post by BEE-S-M-S
BSMS will be posting a video of a mock MMI discussion and "what to expect" information on the website - hopefully tomorrow.

Can you post a link to the video when it's uploaded?
Original post by MiriamEdelmann
I have 17.3, do you guys think that's enough for this year? :s-smilie:

I think someone with 17.8 got an interview a few days ago, definitely have a good chance I think. Think the cut-off is around 17.0 or 16.8.
The pain when you see a rejection letter from your first choice.... its soooo sad. Cut off probably more than 17.6.... I got to interview stage previous years with LESS! Had CD but thought it didn't apply to graduates and an oldie like me so ignored it. Costly mistake!. BSMS is supposed to be mature friendly so don't lose hope all you grad applicants.. ...its truely the best uni I've seen so far...So sad i won't be going there in 2017 though..... All the best to everyone.. Any grads also rejected?
(edited 7 years ago)
Is the cut off different for grads than for school leavers? 😰
Original post by OnlyGodKnows
The pain when you see a rejection letter from your first choice.... its soooo sad. Cut off probably more than 17.6.... I got to interview stage previous years with LESS! Had CD but thought it didn't apply to graduates and an oldie like me so ignored it. Costly mistake!. BSMS is supposed to be mature friendly so don't lose hope all you grad applicants.. ...its truely the best uni I've seen so far...So sad i won't be going there in 2017 though..... All the best to everyone.. Any grads also rejected?

17.6 is a fairly high cutoff. It's probably a slightly above average BMAT score, so most people taking the BMAT wouldn't make it
So how are we preparing for the interviews, I have no idea what to expect :l
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
17.6 is a fairly high cutoff. It's probably a slightly above average BMAT score, so most people taking the BMAT wouldn't make it

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not what they are looking for this year..... too many high scoring applicants. It seems applying with CD is important... I should have done that but a graduate so thought it didn't apply to me. All my grades seem to be in-line with expectation for graduates, but UCAS update said I didn't meet the score threshold.. Well nevermind, I wish everyone the best...... hoping for some positivity from the other choices......

What was your BMAT score?
Original post by hxrl3yB00
What was your BMAT score?
5.4, 3.7, 3.5A so Bton score of 17.6
5.4, 3.7, 3.5A so Bton score of 17.6

Wow, it looks like the cutoff is incredibly high this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not what they are looking for this year..... too many high scoring applicants. It seems applying with CD is important... I should have done that but a graduate so thought it didn't apply to me. All my grades seem to be in-line with expectation for graduates, but UCAS update said I didn't meet the score threshold.. Well nevermind, I wish everyone the best...... hoping for some positivity from the other choices......

It's mostly down to loads of CD applicants who wouldn't get the same consideration elsewhere.
The scores this year for non-CD applicants seem normal
Ngl, if I knew the cutoff was going to be around 18, I would've considered it fairly risking in. Massive jump from 16😂
I dont think the cut off is more than 16.5, there's other reasons they reject candidates. They give 500 interviews, I'm sure 500 applicants didnt get 17 on the BMAT + meet all the other requirements. Dont worry everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicine1303
I dont think the cut off is more than 16.5, there's other reasons they reject candidates. They give 500 interviews, I'm sure 500 applicants didnt get 17 on the BMAT + meet all the other requirements. Dont worry everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The cutoff is easily past 16.5. 30% of those interviews are given to CD applicants who don't have to meet the real cutoff

Latest

Trending

Trending