Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Driving an automatic for the first time

ReputationRep:
    Picking up a new Audi automatic tomorrow and wondered if anyone could tell me how to drive the thing please?!

Foot on the brake when turning it on?

Do you just have it in park when the car is parked? When does it go in Neutral?

Do you ever need to manually shift? e.g. approaching a slow corner?

ReputationRep:
    basically, when you turn on the engine, have your foot on the brake. Put it in 'Drive' and as you let go of the brake slowly, the car will start to move. You can actually drive it at very low speeds without pressing any pedals but to get over 5mph you gonna have to hit the accelerator pedal. Let go of the pedal after like 2-4 seconds of revving and it will change gears appropriately... Easy once you've had like 20 minutes of practise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azocarbo)
    Picking up a new Audi automatic tomorrow and wondered if anyone could tell me how to drive the thing please?!

Foot on the brake when turning it on?

Do you just have it in park when the car is parked? When does it go in Neutral?

Do you ever need to manually shift? e.g. approaching a slow corner?

The only time to use Park is when you've parked. With most cars, won't be able to get the key out of the ignition unless the car is in Park. With some cars (my Merc., maybe the Audi) the transmission will automatically go into Park when you remove the key.

You won't need to put your foot on the brake when starting the engine. It will only start if the transmission is in park.

You will need to put your foot on the brake to put the transmission into Drive or Reverse. It won't go into Drive or Reverse unless your foot is on the brake.

You (probably) will never need to put the transmission in Neutral.

You'll never need to manual shift.

T3

ReputationRep:
    Brake when turning on? Depends on the car, some might, some might not. Having the tranny in park may also be a safety requirement to start up. Likewise, you may need your foot on the brake to shift into gear.

Park when parked? Yes.

Neutral? When it's being towed, neutral is basically never used outside of towing, or as Sabertooth mentioned below, going through a car wash. Basically, if the car is being moved by something else, you'll want it in neutral.

Manual shifting? Only when you put the box into semi auto mode. Generally you can coax the transmission to do what you want, I.E. giving it more beans to rev higher. Not completely sure if this is a universal thing with autos, but I do know that Audis tend to have a sport gearing which shifts later and downshifts earlier. If you just throw it in D (or S), it should do the work for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    Neutral? When it's being towed, neutral is basically never used outside of towing.
    Or going through a car wash.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.