Student Maintenance Loan - Question Regarding Income

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Morning all,

I have a question regarding the maintenance loan, specifically the 'income' section.

I am planning on applying for uni at the end of this year for course commencing Sep 17. Aug 17 is the conclusion of my 4 year apprenticeship and I technically have therefore 'earned' money in the duration from start to finish and that will, of course, run through the time I am applying for student finance. Obviously once I am at university my income will have stopped, so when applying do I only mention the parent's household I live within's income?

I won't particularly have much in terms of savings due to my pay being minimum wage and having to pay for a car etc...

Primarily asking because at the stage of attending university I will then once again become a dependent on my mother. I find the whole thing confusing and want to clarify this issue well in advance of applying.

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juryy)
    Morning all,

I have a question regarding the maintenance loan, specifically the 'income' section.

I am planning on applying for uni at the end of this year for course commencing Sep 17. Aug 17 is the conclusion of my 4 year apprenticeship and I technically have therefore 'earned' money in the duration from start to finish and that will, of course, run through the time I am applying for student finance. Obviously once I am at university my income will have stopped, so when applying do I only mention the parent's household I live within's income?

I won't particularly have much in terms of savings due to my pay being minimum wage and having to pay for a car etc...

Primarily asking because at the stage of attending university I will then once again become a dependent on my mother. I find the whole thing confusing and want to clarify this issue well in advance of applying.

Thanks for any help!
    Did you work full time for 3 years and have proof for all of that? if so you may just be able to apply as an independent student so it would just be based off of your income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Did you work full time for 3 years and have proof for all of that? if so you may just be able to apply as an independent student so it would just be based off of your income.
    Technically no, I will have only been 'working' for one year prior to leaving for university. Up until this point, I was paid on a training scheme which was not classed as pay but a training allowance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juryy)
    Morning all,

Thanks for any help!
    Your age when you start uni, will determine whether you are assessed on your income or your mother's.

If you are under 25 on the start date of your course, then Student Finance will assess you based on your mother's income, for the duration of your degree. Your previous earnings, or any part-time earnings during your time at uni, will be irrelevant.

If you are 25 or older on the start date of your course, then you will be assessed on your own income. If you are going into a full-time course, SF will primarily assume that you have zero income and assess you accordingly. You will have the opportunity to tell them about any significant income such as interest on savings/investments, rent from properties you own, etc. However this won't be an issue for the majority of 25+ applicants. I was left a well-paid job to go to uni full-time aged 44. I queried exactly this issue with SF who directed me to enter my income as zero in my application for the reasons outlined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Your age when you start uni, will determine whether you are assessed on your income or your mother's.

If you are under 25 on the start date of your course, then Student Finance will assess you based on your mother's income, for the duration of your degree. Your previous earnings, or any part-time earnings during your time at uni, will be irrelevant.

If you are 25 or older on the start date of your course, then you will be assessed on your own income. If you are going into a full-time course, SF will primarily assume that you have zero income and assess you accordingly. You will have the opportunity to tell them about any significant income such as interest on savings/investments, rent from properties you own, etc. However this won't be an issue for the majority of 25+ applicants. I was left a well-paid job to go to uni full-time aged 44. I queried exactly this issue with SF who directed me to enter my income as zero in my application for the reasons outlined.
    Absolutely fantastic! I am under the age of 25 so what I need to do is now very clear! Thank you for such a prompt and well written answer.

Like you I am taking quite a large step as my job will easily pay £40,000 upon completion of my training but does not offer the mental challenge or reward I am seeking, which is far more important to me than earning money but always waiting for the weekend to come around.

Thank you so much!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.