Moved into new property. The place is in a state of disrepair.

    • Thread Starter


    We've moved into a new house on the 1st of October. We found the place extremely unclean and then found the place to be in disrepair. Windows don't close properly leading to the whole house being colder. There are a number of holes in the walls and floor. The kitchen and bathroom is not tiled at all. The mess that has been left everywhere has lead there to be an infestation of cockroaches and mice leaving droppings all over.

    We spoke to the person managing the house and they said they would "spray" to get rid of the cockroaches. They did not give any solutions to the mouse problem. We suggested that the kitchen, etc. needs to be refurbished to which there was a rather uninspired "sure". I am not confident that they will make the necessary repairs to the house to make it fit for habitation. What should we do?

    I think if your house in not up to standard you can complain, I'm not sure who to - perhaps the council? who can require your landlord to bring it up to standard

    it might be a good idea to speak to shelter, they can offer good advice on what to say to your landlord and where to go if that fails
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Which is the best season?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”


Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.