Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to do things when you don't feel like it? Watch

There are so many things I want to do but a lot of the time I just get this feeling that I just don't feel like doing anything, even though I want to do things, part of me just combats it and says no I can't be bothered. I used to do so many things and I see my friends doing all these things and I just feel like it's this and my anxiety that is holding me back. I know that exercise is supposed to help but it's difficult when I don't feel like doing much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There are so many things I want to do but a lot of the time I just get this feeling that I just don't feel like doing anything, even though I want to do things, part of me just combats it and says no I can't be bothered. I used to do so many things and I see my friends doing all these things and I just feel like it's this and my anxiety that is holding me back. I know that exercise is supposed to help but it's difficult when I don't feel like doing much
    Hey OP,

First of all, this is normal and can happen to the best of us. However, if you're finding this is becoming frequent then it could mean something more is at play and you shouldn't ever feel like you can't talk to your GP about something like this as there could be some amazing help out there for you. I find that when I'm feeling demotivated pushing myself little by little is the best way to gain some momentum. I have days where I don't want to get out of bed because I cannot be bothered, but I think of the things I have to do and the people I have to see and whilst I may spend too long in bed and end up at college later than normal, I feel so much better for getting up and going. I don't ever feel like it will be a positive thing before doing it, but after I reap all of the benefits of making the choice to get up and go.

I too suffer terribly with anxiety and it can be so very inhibiting on my bad days - this is not something we can control but it is something that we can recognise and understand in order to best know how to work and live with it. There are calming techniques such as mindfulness and meditation that can really improve your state of mind before doing something that could potentially trigger your anxiety. I try and do mindful breathing at least three or four times a week and take some 'me time' to regulate my anxiety levels and I find it really helps to take this time. Have a look at this:

http://www.mindful.org/mindfulness-how-to-do-it/

At first I dismissed it, ignorantly, without trying it. But I couldn't recommend it more. It's super helpful. I hope perhaps this helps you. :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.