Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am one year into my a levels and I am studying psychology, sociology and politics. for months I was set on doing psychology at uni, but now I'm thinking not so much- I think art would be more fun and creative- like I only have one life why should I do psychology just because it's 'safer'. BUT i didn't do art at alevel- so will that disadvantage me a lot? and I'm not even sure if I'm good enough at art to do it at uni? ( I got an a* at GCSE but that was years ago) and what careers will it even lead too? I'm so stuck on what subject to do and I have to decide soon as I have to write my personal statement! please reply !xxx

ReputationRep:
    why would you even do art? it's like the sh*ttest subject in the world.

ReputationRep:
    If your not sure whether or not you want to do art at university, then do an art foundation degree first - they will accept pretty much everyone and you can build up a portfolio there for a year to get into uni. If your not doing A level art now then frankly you won't be good enough to get onto an arts degree course as you won't have a good enough portfolio. Even if you do, then it probably won't be a great course - to be frank.

But perhaps then look to do a foundation art course, as if you have only recently decided that you want to do art, and change your mind later on then you can do a psychology degree after the art foundation course as its only a year, (plus I think they are free but not too sure - at least allot less money then a degree.) During that year you can see what part of art you enjoy - and what career will best suit you. Its an 'experimentation' year basically and will put you at an advantage to getting a degree in art afterwards.

You will have to do loads of extra art on the side of your a levels now then tho to still try and get into the art foundation course. Look and see what their portfolio requirements are, as they will want to see some recent work as well as your GCSE stuff. Also, I might recommend writing two personal statements now - one for psychology and another for an arts foundation, as if you decide after your art year that you don't want to art at uni and want to get back into psychology then you have a personal statement which has been assisted by your college.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tithan)
    If your not sure whether or not you want to do art at university, then do an art foundation degree first - they will accept pretty much everyone and you can build up a portfolio there for a year to get into uni. If your not doing A level art now then frankly you won't be good enough to get onto an arts degree course as you won't have a good enough portfolio. Even if you do, then it probably won't be a great course - to be frank.

But perhaps then look to do a foundation art course, as if you have only recently decided that you want to do art, and change your mind later on then you can do a psychology degree after the art foundation course as its only a year, (plus I think they are free but not too sure - at least allot less money then a degree.) During that year you can see what part of art you enjoy - and what career will best suit you. Its an 'experimentation' year basically and will put you at an advantage to getting a degree in art afterwards.

You will have to do loads of extra art on the side of your a levels now then tho to still try and get into the art foundation course. Look and see what their portfolio requirements are, as they will want to see some recent work as well as your GCSE stuff. Also, I might recommend writing two personal statements now - one for psychology and another for an arts foundation, as if you decide after your art year that you don't want to art at uni and want to get back into psychology then you have a personal statement which has been assisted by your college.

Hope this helps
    Hey thanks for this reply!! very helpful, if i could go to my sixth form tutor and ask if i can join an AS art course now along with my other three alevels do you think that would be better than a foundation course? i'd be staying at this sixth from for an extra year to just finish my A2 art so i could just focus on that.I'm not sure tbh the more i think about it the more im not sure on, but thank you! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikkiii)
    Hey thanks for this reply!! very helpful, if i could go to my sixth form tutor and ask if i can join an AS art course now along with my other three alevels do you think that would be better than a foundation course? i'd be staying at this sixth from for an extra year to just finish my A2 art so i could just focus on that.I'm not sure tbh the more i think about it the more im not sure on, but thank you! x
    np! art As level is a heck of allot of work, if you haven't been doing art this past year (to the extent as gcse or alevel) then you will take time getting back up to the same standard as you were at gcse, and more getting up to the as/alevel standard. But basically no - just doing the AS now won't give you a portfolio good enough to get onto a uni degree, plus art takes up so much time it will defiantly impact your other three A levels. Possibly do one year of As to get onto a foundation course, but if you want to go to uni to do art then you need to have either done a full A level in art or a foundation course. Just doing the As year won't be enough.

I think also the applications for a foundation course are after universities. So if you aren't sure, maybe go with applying and writing a personal statement for phsycology, and then if you still want to do art instead, perhaps try and deffer your offers and do a foundation art course. You don't need to apply for foundation art courses now like you do with unis, so you have plenty of time to change your mind. But if you think you will do a foundation arts course then I think doing an As along side your A levels will be a good idea, as they will generally expect A level standard artwork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tithan)
    np! art As level is a heck of allot of work, if you haven't been doing art this past year (to the extent as gcse or alevel) then you will take time getting back up to the same standard as you were at gcse, and more getting up to the as/alevel standard. But basically no - just doing the AS now won't give you a portfolio good enough to get onto a uni degree, plus art takes up so much time it will defiantly impact your other three A levels. Possibly do one year of As to get onto a foundation course, but if you want to go to uni to do art then you need to have either done a full A level in art or a foundation course. Just doing the As year won't be enough.

I think also the applications for a foundation course are after universities. So if you aren't sure, maybe go with applying and writing a personal statement for phsycology, and then if you still want to do art instead, perhaps try and deffer your offers and do a foundation art course. You don't need to apply for foundation art courses now like you do with unis, so you have plenty of time to change your mind. But if you think you will do a foundation arts course then I think doing an As along side your A levels will be a good idea, as they will generally expect A level standard artwork.
    hey thanks, are foundation art courses at uni's or colleges? yeah i think doing as alongside my other three alevels would be too much. i guess i could do a psychology degree but still do art on the side, like photography and stuff, and then after my degree i could see what i want to do then? i dont get how people know what they want to do already! so stressed aha only have til the 17th of November to do my personal statement and havent started but yes i think doing two or just putting in my psychology one that i have art as a hobby might make it more interesting im not sure, thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vikkiii)
    hey thanks, are foundation art courses at uni's or colleges? yeah i think doing as alongside my other three alevels would be too much. i guess i could do a psychology degree but still do art on the side, like photography and stuff, and then after my degree i could see what i want to do then? i dont get how people know what they want to do already! so stressed aha only have til the 17th of November to do my personal statement and havent started but yes i think doing two or just putting in my psychology one that i have art as a hobby might make it more interesting im not sure, thanks anyway
    Art foundation courses are at uni's, so you would have all of the same experiences as uni students doing it for one year - so it ends up basically being 4 years at uni. Yeah, thats a possibility - or possibly look at Art Therapy? My friend did art As and currently doing psychology for A2 and shes gonna do a degree in art therapy as it basically combines the two. Yeah, you might wanna get started on the Pstatements. Idk if an art foundation requires a pstatement, and if the applications are later, focus on psychology first? Its allot of money, but like you said you could do a Psyc degree and then do art afterwards or during it if your still interested, but an academic degree would be far more valuable then art anyway. Frankly if you want to go into the art industry you don't need a degree - most people have one as they don't really know what else to do or want to study in that environment but its not mandatory. But alot of more academic jobs will require a degree of some sort and phsyc is more valuable then art. So in that respect applying for psyc may be your better option, and if you regret it then you could always drop out and go down an art root?

ReputationRep:
    What a waste of time art is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello vikkiii -

You're definitely asking the right questions at the right time. I speak with a handful of students every year in October time who feel like they had chosen the course they SHOULD study, rather than the right course for them; the one they enjoy and get excited by. If you're honest with yourself about which course, careers and environment you would best thrive in and passionate about, it's likely that it will all turn out alright in the end.

If you're considering a creative course (and there's lots of them out there!), then the advice about doing a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design will help you develop your creative practice and build your confidence, especially if you're not used to working in this kind of environment or pace. Creative degrees can be fun and very rewarding; however, it is also more demanding than some stereotypes perpetuate. Practice-based degrees like ours might not have exams at the end of the term, but you're constantly working on your projects, with varying deadlines and balancing the personal aspects of your work with the professional.

Of course, there are some courses out there that successfully combine creative practice with social research processes. For example, our BSc (Hons) User Experience Design marries design with social sciences. UX designers are responsible for ensuring that products and services meet the users' needs; using similar methods as you would find in psychological or sociological research, you would be able to inform the design team on how to improve the final outcome. Our course will look mostly at digital products, such as websites, mobile apps, social media, wearable products (like FitBits), gaming and virtual or augmented reality hardware and software. It's a growing industry - with more work available than there are graduates at the moment. This kind of course would not necessarily require a portfolio but will require you to show an interest in both human behaviour, social sciences and creative subjects.

I hope that helps and if you want to find out more, get in touch.
    Lou

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.