Article 50 to be triggered in March

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...unwind-eu-laws

Notably before French and German ( and UK) elections. There will also be no UK GE until 2020.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Good to see my MP Anna Sou(r)bry is not being bitter about being sacked from the cabinet and instead focusing on doing a good job representing her constituents instead of spending all her time moaning about Brexit on TV and pushing a pointless pro-EU lobbying group ...oh wait...

ReputationRep:
    Time for a coup, we can't let the illegitimate government destroy our country because a few racist kippers want them to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)

Notably before French and German ( and UK) elections. There will also be no UK GE until 2020.

Thoughts?
    Interesting talk that it's a bit of a trap for the Remain camp. If parliament votes for the bill then we leave, if parliament rejects it then we get an election and a large majority.

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Triggering just before the French and German elections is a very calculated move (it might go well, it might not, but it wasn't an accident). I think they want Brexit to become an election issue in those two countries, which means Europe becomes an issue, which means eurosceptic parties will be able to push themselves into the debate.

It's difficult to say whether this is a sensible move, but overall I do not think the people of Europe are as intent on "punishing" the UK as Juncker and Franco-German government figures are; thus as it becomes an election issue, French and German politicians can't just rely on the fact they're not up for election at that moment to push the eurofederalist "punishment" position.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the Triggered meme to come out for article 50

ReputationRep:
    Should be an interesting process; to say the least. I'm glad I've gotten my second job now as opposed to after the trigger just in case the economy does go south in a massive way at least I have some security

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Triggering just before the French and German elections is a very calculated move (it might go well, it might not, but it wasn't an accident). I think they want Brexit to become an election issue in those two countries, which means Europe becomes an issue, which means eurosceptic parties will be able to push themselves into the debate.

It's difficult to say whether this is a sensible move, but overall I do not think the people of Europe are as intent on "punishing" the UK as Juncker and Franco-German government figures are; thus as it becomes an election issue, French and German politicians can't just rely on the fact they're not up for election at that moment to push the eurofederalist "punishment" position.
    I don't follow the argument. It isn't in the U.K. Government's interest to promote Le Pen or the German hard right.

Really the problem with the French and German elections is not their position on Brexit but that they are not willing to devote time and attention to it at all until those elections are finished.

My guess is simply that March is as late as Theresa could argue for, as we stand today. The timetable might slip later but she couldn't say "November 2017" today.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I don't follow the argument. It isn't in the U.K. Government's interest to promote Le Pen or the German hard right.
    How would it not be in the UK government's interest for eurosceptics to have more power in the primary EU countries?

Now I'm not saying this was their calculation, I have no idea what the basis for their decision was (nor does anyone else). But what I said was clear was that it was a calculation and not a random date, they clearly took the French elections into consideration and determined that they would be best served by triggering a month before the French elections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Interesting talk that it's a bit of a trap for the Remain camp. If parliament votes for the bill then we leave, if parliament rejects it then we get
    an election and a large majority.
    Yeah I figured that too plus what it means for the prospective Europeans as per what AlexanderHam says.

I think the EU will be firm but fair- which means they want the sick to leave for mutual benefit but obviously want to preserve the EU and make sure it's remaining members aren't getting a bum deal. Of course the swivel eyed brigade will never be happy and no doubt they're all conspiring against the UK. Also the EU brexit negotiators are all highly experienced at this sort of thing whereas the UK has virtually none.

It's not going to be a simple process though. Any deal negotiated must achieve a majority in the council of Europe and then the EU Parliament for it to be resolved- and if course the UK has two years when article 50 is triggers and its negotiation strength worsens the longer it goes on until it is forced out under WTO rules (Hard Brexit).

It's s gamble which may backfire spectacularly and If Labour weren't such a shambles wouldn't be attempted. Even if it does fail she has the three stooges set to take the fall- This may be why Fox keeps advocating hard Brexit.

I say this as somebody who wants the best deal for the UK post brexit, despite being favourably inclined to the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Time for a coup, we can't let the illegitimate government destroy our country because a few racist kippers want them to
    I know you're missing the "un" from the front of your name, but pray tell what is illegitimate about this government?

Re: OP and title, not in March, but no later than march, although likely will be March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    How would it not be in the UK government's interest for eurosceptics to have more power in the primary EU countries?

First of all because electing a bunch of fascists weakens NATO and thus our security.

Secondly because our prosperity depends in part on the prosperity of France and particularly Germany.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    It's all as suspected

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    It's all as suspected

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What did you suspect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I know you're missing the "un" from the front of your name, but pray tell what is illegitimate about this government?

Re: OP and title, not in March, but no later than march, although likely will be March.
    They're unelected. The people voted for cameron and now the government has been hijacked by the far right, revolutions like in the arab spring are the only way to oust this regime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    They're unelected. The people voted for cameron and now the government has been hijacked by the far right, revolutions like in the arab spring are the only way to oust this regime.
    Pray point out a single MP who was not elected, as I recall all 644 of them were elected, 640 of them elected at last year's general election and the other 4 elected in by elections since.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What did you suspect?
    That article 50 would be triggered just before the Easter break and I expected they would repeal the act

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    That article 50 would be triggered just before the Easter break and I expected they would repeal the act

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A GCSE politics student could have told you the "great repeal" was going to happen, and given the government rhetoric for the last few months has been "early next year" that's a pretty safe bet too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watching the Tories celebrating this crap last night made me feel sick. The organised manipulation of public racism and the ridiculous egomaniacal buffoonery that got us into this situation is apparently all fine with the whackjobs of the modern Conservative Party.

Meanwhile, the economy continues to head to the door marked 'last person here, please turn out the lights'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Watching the Tories celebrating this crap last night made me feel sick.
    And watching buffoons like you fawn over a far left protest party giving up any chance of actually competing for general elections makes other people sick.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.