Current educational issues

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I am pretty sure that this question will be in my interview for Primary School Direct.
    I can talk about the strike and the budgeting issue, any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_A_83)
    Hi all,
    I am pretty sure that this question will be in my interview for Primary School Direct.
    I think theywill be looking more at curriculum and the children themselves rather than the coffers and strike actions, related but not really the focus you want to talk about in an interview... the children in your class should probably come first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Beaver)
    I think theywill be looking more at curriculum and the children themselves rather than the coffers and strike actions, related but not really the focus you want to talk about in an interview... the children in your class should probably come first
    Yes, that's right thank you, but still what kind of issues that are related to the students?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    What strike? Budgeting issue?

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    If you want to get political, the reform to the Year 6 National Tests and changes to Performance Measures would provide a fertile ground.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    As above, the changes to KS1 and KS2 SATs are definitely current issues! After the interim frameworks released for last years results, which came out quite late and were... interesting. Now we're in the same situation, where we aren't sure how this year's 11 year olds will be judged and graded (current Yr6 teacher).

Workload is still a massive issue. I know I'm only an NQT, but I'm definitely putting in 60+ hours a week, and I can't see it getting any better by the looks of my colleagues.

Maybe the recruitment/retainment crisis? There's definitely one out there, especially in the South East.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that they're suggesting that Year 6s that don't pass the SATs will have to resit in December. I'm not entirely sure how they plan on making that work, but...

You can talk about how phonics is helpful when learning to read, and how many children don't do well in Maths (not sure why, but I'm in secondary so I can't help much there).

There's also a lack of male primary teachers...

This probably wasn't much help, but maybe they can spark something for you to run with.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all that definitely helped.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to jump on this; I also have a couple of interviews coming up a PGCE and schools direct and am required to do a presentation to other candidates and the interview board about a current educational issue and was just wondering if you can recommend anywhere to find out more about the issues, like i know(ish) about the SATs/scrapping of levels, but not 100% and don't want to talk about something which I'm not 100% sure on.

(Original post by beanbrain)
    As above, the changes to KS1 and KS2 SATs are definitely current issues! After the interim frameworks released for last years results, which came out quite late and were... interesting. Now we're in the same situation, where we aren't sure how this year's 11 year olds will be judged and graded (current Yr6 teacher).

Workload is still a massive issue. I know I'm only an NQT, but I'm definitely putting in 60+ hours a week, and I can't see it getting any better by the looks of my colleagues.

Maybe the recruitment/retainment crisis? There's definitely one out there, especially in the South East.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhean18)
    Sorry to jump on this; I also have a couple of interviews coming up a PGCE and schools direct and am required to do a presentation to other candidates and the interview board about a current educational issue and was just wondering if you can recommend anywhere to find out more about the issues, like i know(ish) about the SATs/scrapping of levels, but not 100% and don't want to talk about something which I'm not 100% sure on.
    To be honest, I'm not entirely sure where you would find out about educational issues - people often suggest TES or a news website like the BBC. I never found these terribly helpful when I was looking for educational issues. In actual fact, I have no idea how I got past that point in the interview stage!

People on here are more than likely able to give you a good idea of educational issues. Knowing about the scrapping of SATs is fine, which needs to lead you to talk about the interim assessment frameworks and the subjective use of these by assessing teachers. This leads to the need for moderation meetings between schools and with external moderators as well.

Or you could talk about workload, which is a constant issue. With a lot of teachers saying that they work 60+ hour weeks, there doesn't seem to be anything being done about it in spite of previous government promises! Which, of course, is one of the major reasons that so many people leave teaching within 5 years of joining the profession.

ReputationRep:
    Are you currently training/teaching? That's really helpful and I'm glad someone feels the same about TES/news outlets, it's all very political rather than focusing on the issue at hand which makes it harder to understand.

My current school suggested the new curriculum (changing to mastery- the issues this has imposed on schools), but to be honest I don't quite understand that.

Do you think speaking about teachers workload would be controversial?
    Thanks so much by the way!

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure where you would find out about educational issues - people often suggest TES or a news website like the BBC. I never found these terribly helpful when I was looking for educational issues. In actual fact, I have no idea how I got past that point in the interview stage!

People on here are more than likely able to give you a good idea of educational issues. Knowing about the scrapping of SATs is fine, which needs to lead you to talk about the interim assessment frameworks and the subjective use of these by assessing teachers. This leads to the need for moderation meetings between schools and with external moderators as well.

Or you could talk about workload, which is a constant issue. With a lot of teachers saying that they work 60+ hour weeks, there doesn't seem to be anything being done about it in spite of previous government promises! Which, of course, is one of the major reasons that so many people leave teaching within 5 years of joining the profession.

ReputationRep:
    Are you currently training/teaching? That's really helpful and I'm glad someone feels the same about TES/news outlets, it's all very political rather than focusing on the issue at hand which makes it harder to understand.

My current school suggested the new curriculum (changing to mastery- the issues this has imposed on schools), but to be honest I don't quite understand that.

Do you think speaking about teachers workload would be controversial?
    Thanks so much by the way!
    I'm a primary NQT in Year 6... in a county that has the 11+. I guess that sort of issue could be raised - the whole grammar school malarky that Theresa May has been going on about, and how grammar schools are selective in a ridiculous way. Since children can still be trained to pass the 11+, grammar schools are still seen as elitist, because poorer children's parents probably can't afford to pay for tuition.

Speaking about teacher workload would not be controversial, not really. It will show an awareness of what being a teacher truly entails. The workload is pretty ridiculous, truthfully. I mean, I only have a class of 22 students, but I spend at least an hour marking one set of books, and that's only if I'm scanning for spelling mistakes and writing a comment about what they have done well - it is usually about 1.5 hours if I am quality marking.

On top of that, obviously I spend 6 hours or so with the children, meaning hours of teaching lessons. Those lessons have to be planned, obviously, so I have to spend time doing that, and gathering resources for those lessons. These resources are supposed to be tailored to the lesson and the class, so I generally have to make a lot of the maths ones from scratch. And the science ones. And some of the Topic ones too. A day of PPA and NQT time isn't any where near enough to get all these things done.

Then add onto that the files that I have to keep up to date, like the SEN folder, the reading folder, the planning folder. As an NQT, I'm only shadowing a subject leader, but I will be taking on the leadership of that subject from next September, so I have a big enough role at the moment to keep me busy, as I have to learn what it entails.

I know this doesn't sound like very much, when you write it all like this. But I work more than 60 hours a week, and I still don't get everything on my list done. There are still things left to do every single day, and it doesn't get done because I force myself to come home before I get thrown out of school, and force myself to sit and relax a bit in the evenings.

And if that's the workload I am expected to do (which, I'm told, it isn't!), then I will do it. But I have absolutely no idea how teachers who work less than 60 hours a week manage to get the job done well... not saying they don't, I just don't know how they do it!

ReputationRep:
    Guardian education is a pretty good resource for this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a primary NQT in Year 6... in a county that has the 11+. I guess that sort of issue could be raised - the whole grammar school malarky that Theresa May has been going on about, and how grammar schools are selective in a ridiculous way. Since children can still be trained to pass the 11+, grammar schools are still seen as elitist, because poorer children's parents probably can't afford to pay for tuition.

Speaking about teacher workload would not be controversial, not really. It will show an awareness of what being a teacher truly entails. The workload is pretty ridiculous, truthfully. I mean, I only have a class of 22 students, but I spend at least an hour marking one set of books, and that's only if I'm scanning for spelling mistakes and writing a comment about what they have done well - it is usually about 1.5 hours if I am quality marking.

On top of that, obviously I spend 6 hours or so with the children, meaning hours of teaching lessons. Those lessons have to be planned, obviously, so I have to spend time doing that, and gathering resources for those lessons. These resources are supposed to be tailored to the lesson and the class, so I generally have to make a lot of the maths ones from scratch. And the science ones. And some of the Topic ones too. A day of PPA and NQT time isn't any where near enough to get all these things done.

Then add onto that the files that I have to keep up to date, like the SEN folder, the reading folder, the planning folder. As an NQT, I'm only shadowing a subject leader, but I will be taking on the leadership of that subject from next September, so I have a big enough role at the moment to keep me busy, as I have to learn what it entails.

I know this doesn't sound like very much, when you write it all like this. But I work more than 60 hours a week, and I still don't get everything on my list done. There are still things left to do every single day, and it doesn't get done because I force myself to come home before I get thrown out of school, and force myself to sit and relax a bit in the evenings.

And if that's the workload I am expected to do (which, I'm told, it isn't!), then I will do it. But I have absolutely no idea how teachers who work less than 60 hours a week manage to get the job done well... not saying they don't, I just don't know how they do it!
    Oh that's super helpful thank you xx

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.