Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Ways to help my application.

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am going to be applying with my actual grades for the IB Diploma this year for admittance into LLB Law in 2017. On their website, it says that they need 32 points with 6,6,6 HL. I have a 34 with 5,5,5 HL (awarded in 2015). Obviously this is below the requirements but I have a few issues to clarify:

1. What is their stance with accepting people with grades being less than the requirements? IB can't really be converted into A-Level grades, some people will say its equivalent to AAAB, others say AAB or even BBB. Therefore it's hard to quantify what the grade admittance will be. However, for the A-Level students that were given an offer, were your grades lower than the AAA requirements?

2. I am an international student. Will that effect their decision on me in any way?

3. For the year of 2017, UoB is doing away with the LNAT, meaning I have nothing else, grades wise, to prove that I am able to handle the course. Does anyone have any recommendations to how I can prove to them that I can handle it, other than having a strong PS?

Thanks for taking time to read this!

ReputationRep:
    Strong references?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anniln)
    Hi all,

I am going to be applying with my actual grades for the IB Diploma this year for admittance into LLB Law in 2017. On their website, it says that they need 32 points with 6,6,6 HL. I have a 34 with 5,5,5 HL (awarded in 2015). Obviously this is below the requirements but I have a few issues to clarify:

1. What is their stance with accepting people with grades being less than the requirements? IB can't really be converted into A-Level grades, some people will say its equivalent to AAAB, others say AAB or even BBB. Therefore it's hard to quantify what the grade admittance will be. However, for the A-Level students that were given an offer, were your grades lower than the AAA requirements?

2. I am an international student. Will that effect their decision on me in any way?

3. For the year of 2017, UoB is doing away with the LNAT, meaning I have nothing else, grades wise, to prove that I am able to handle the course. Does anyone have any recommendations to how I can prove to them that I can handle it, other than having a strong PS?

Thanks for taking time to read this!
    I would recommend that you email the admissions tutor for your subject and ask them these questions. I would also recommend that you visit the university if you can. If you are taking a Gap Year, you could consider doing an EPQ, which is an extended essay offered by British exam boards which can be on any topic you choose. The university of Birmingham has a special policy on EPQ which means they will lower your offer if you get an A grade. I'm not sure how this works for international students but it's something you could find out more about, perhaps. Hope this helps!

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.