Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how many years would the long route to medicine take?
    i didn't do to well at gcse as i got mostly b's
    i am currently at year 12 studying chemistry biology and maths and psychology but I'm thinking of dropping psychology this year

ReputationRep:
    When you say long route I'm assuming you mean graduate entry medicine. For that, you'd do an undergraduate degree which is normally 3 years, then you'd apply for accelerated medical courses which are 4 years, so in total 7 years.

There are also medicine courses with a foundation year, which you may be eligible for if you meet certain criteria, and these are 6 years.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yassaman)
    how many years would the long route to medicine take?
    i didn't do to well at gcse as i got mostly b's
    i am currently at year 12 studying chemistry biology and maths and psychology but I'm thinking of dropping psychology this year
    You can get a relevant degree and get a high 2:1 then do graduate entry Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxidation)
    You can get a relevant degree and get a high 2:1 then do graduate entry Medicine.
    Or an irrelevant degree. Or a 2:1. Or even a 2:2 for some med schools
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Ohh really? You can do any degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxidation)
    Ohh really? You can do any degree?
    Yep for some GEPs.

ReputationRep:
    some unis do a foundation programme which accepts people with lower grades so do your research

ReputationRep:
    Lmao.. That cheekiness. Let me guess. Not your med school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carrot_Cake_13)
    Lmao.. That cheekiness. Let me guess. Not your med school
    I don't have a problem with people who have 2:2s going into medicine or med schools which accept 2:2 degrees, definitely not how that post was meant to come across! My point was merely that you don't need a "high 2:1".
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yep for some GEPs.
    Oh that's good!

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE's and A Levels were awful.

I'm 24 now. I took 2 years out, have now lived in Australia, India and Sweden and soon to graduate with a 2:1 in Biology with the Open University. I sat my UKCAT two days ago and got 734 average with a band 2 in SJT. I'll be applying to both the undergraduate and graduate route at KCL, and also Warwick and Newcastle.

It's never too late! 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.