I want to do maths at uni and need help with my A2 choices?

Watch
selenacxoxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
At AS I did biology, chemistry, physics and maths, (and got AAAA) but during the summer I decided I wanted to do maths at uni. I have the option to do the whole further maths a level in one year but I don't know if I should? I've already dropped biology, so now I need to decide between doing A2 chemistry, physics, maths with FM to AS, or doing all four subjects to A2. If I did decide to do the full A level, I'd have to get A/A*, as the universities that actually require FM don't ask for anything less. If I did just the AS, I wouldn't be able to apply to Imperial College London, UCL, Warwick and St Andrews. Also, since my options would be more limited, I'd want to apply to Bath which would then require me to get a merit/2 in AEA/STEP in addition to an A at AS in FM.
I've asked my maths teacher what he thinks I could get and he said he doesn't know, since I've only been doing FM for a couple weeks. He doesn't know if I could get A* as he's only ever had one student get an A* in FM. He also said it'd be risky because he wouldn't want me to miss an offer from Oxford or something (which requires A in the AS or A* in the A level).
Does anyone know what I should do? I have no idea whether I should do the AS or A2. Or if I should drop chemistry or physics in order to do the whole FM A level. Helppppppppp.
Habeebah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well if you want to do Maths at uni it would make sense to drop either chem or physics, preferably chem, and do the whole FM A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile
spacetechnology
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
do it, and do only 3 full a levels as it'll allow you to focus on FM more and chemistry isn't needed, if you're really that passionate you can be the second of his students to get an A*, it's hard but by all means possible
Bruhh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd do the whole A level, since most uni's will question why you didn't if you had the choice. You're trying to sell your passion for maths to them and by only doing the AS when you had the choice to do the full A2 probably won't look the best to them.
S27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The best preparation for a maths degree imo is Maths/FurtherMaths/Physics.
selenacxoxo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My teachers were reluctant for me to drop anything, as they think it might be risky because if for someone reason I didn't do well in FM, I'd only have two (good? )A levels.
Do you think they have a point or should I push for them to let me drop chemistry/physics so I can do the full FM A level?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.71%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.65%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (70)
30.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise