The Student Room Group

How many properties do you realistically want to own?

When you're older, do you just want to buy a single house and live in that or do you plan on saving up then buying many rental properties and making money from those real estate investments? Or are you not planning to buy a home?

Scroll to see replies

bout three fiddy
One. :smile:
More houses don't mean happiness. I would like happiness not lots of houses. :h:
One house as a pension fund, one house to live in, and a collection of cars!
2, one home to live in and another to rent out to have some extra income rolling in...
Reply 5
I plan to purchase my parents house via the right to buy.
I plan to purchase a city center apartment.
I plan to purchase a family home.
I plan to sell home 3 in order to build a home and let out the others.

So 3 at once, one of which will be let.
1 to live in. I think the ship has sailed on property investments. How much more can prices increase? The government is reducing tax breaks on buy to let and I don't think I could be arsed with the hassle of dealing with tenants. I would rather invest in other stuff.
Jesus, I'm never gonna be able to afford to buy a house.
1 for any length of time, possibly 2 at points if I have the money to renovate before moving to a new one so I don't have to live on a building site while work takes place
Reply 9
Original post by Sternumator
1 to live in. I think the ship has sailed on property investments. How much more can prices increase? The government is reducing tax breaks on buy to let and I don't think I could be arsed with the hassle of dealing with tenants. I would rather invest in other stuff.

I agree that the market will correct eventually however if your mortgage free then you can get regular income from letting out albeit i agree that it's hastle.

Original post by SmallTownGirl
Jesus, I'm never gonna be able to afford to buy a house.

That's only true if you stay in London.
Reply 10
I want to have 10 rentals before i'm 40 (though this may be a stretch especially with the new laws in place with tax/stamp duty for 2nd homes), my parents have 4.5 (50% share) so growing up it was always kind of a thing I wanted to get into and I saw it as an easy way to partly retire.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
being able to own just one house of my own would be beyond a massive achievement for me
I'd want multiple houses or stuff like that. One main one to live in. And the others may act as secret hideouts...! I could also conduct suspicious activities in/through them... :s-smilie:
Original post by Rakas21
That's only true if you stay in London.

I don't live in London. I have also never lived in London. London isn't the only place that's entirely unaffordable. Because of my disability I'm unlikely to ever get more than a minimum wage job (if I ever get well enough that I could work at all).
2 - One family home here in London and another holiday home in the caribbean or somewhere exotic (never gonna happen but still:frown:)
Original post by squish562
When you're older, do you just want to buy a single house and live in that or do you plan on saving up then buying many rental properties and making money from those real estate investments? Or are you not planning to buy a home?

Main home, 2-3 holiday homes, then maybe a small unit for uni students to rent out. Aim is to maximise rental income and have a decent variety of options to choose from if I want to say move home or nip on vacation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Main home, 2-3 holiday homes, then maybe a small unit for uni students to rent out. Aim is to maximise rental income and have a decent variety of options to choose from if I want to say move home or nip on vacation

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're going to need a HUGE salary for that, that's like £1-2 million of property.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would like to own a nice semi detached or detached home in London or the Home Counties. Probably around £600000. Obviously I'll start off with smaller houses and then move up the property ladder.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Allie4
being able to own just one house of my own would be beyond a massive achievement for me

I know right? Especially in London with the sky high prices. A 3 bedroom in the suburban boroughs costs like £500000+ now! I doubt anyone except the upper middle class and upper class will be able to buy that type of property here in the future.
Original post by akbar0123
You're going to need a HUGE salary for that, that's like £1-2 million of property.

Ofc :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest