The Student Room Group

Will I be accepted into a university?

for my GCSEs I got 4A*s 6As and 1B, the B was in maths and it was 2 marks off an A it was sent off but sadly not moved up. For A levels I'm doing Economics, Russian, Politics, History and AS sociology. In university I want to do PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) in York of Kings, but most universities ask for an A in GCSE maths if I want to do that course, sadly that's the only subject I don't have an A in so what do I do? Could they still consider me or is there no chance?
Original post by valdokarina
for my GCSEs I got 4A*s 6As and 1B, the B was in maths and it was 2 marks off an A it was sent off but sadly not moved up. For A levels I'm doing Economics, Russian, Politics, History and AS sociology. In university I want to do PPE (Politics, Philosophy and Economics) in York of Kings, but most universities ask for an A in GCSE maths if I want to do that course, sadly that's the only subject I don't have an A in so what do I do? Could they still consider me or is there no chance?

They say it for a reason, and because you don't have maths a-level either it's unlikely, i'm sure there are other RG uni's that don't require A in GCSE-maths?
Original post by valdokarina

Resit maths during AS and it will be fine
As above, ask your school about resitting GCSE Maths in either of your A level years. Its usually straightforward - you have to pay the exam fee (£30-ish) and you'll have to do all the revision yourself with no teaching. If you do this in your final A level year, just add the resit to your UCAS application as 'pending' and they will make any offer also conditional on that GCSE result. You wont get marked down for doing a GCSE resit - its very common.

PS. Make sure you apply to a range of Unis (ie. not just ones that want mega-grades) - that way you will get an offer from somewhere, and (hopefully) get a lower offer to use as your Insurance. Lots of advice about this here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=20445-how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Reply 4
Your grades are very good, but if you resit maths, as what they are asking for is a very high grade, I'd imagine them to be strict with resits. Look, what I'd recommend is that you either look at something else, or apply o another uni. You got 4A*'s though like me , so they might counteract 😀
Original post by JSC16
so they might counteract

What .....?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending