Can I take further maths seperately?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    fyi - im year10

Last year, they told us set1/2 would take further maths. turns out my school lied. Their only letting set1 take it. currently I'm in set2, (but i didn t revise for maths as too occupied on science as they were setting us).
    Im at a grammar school w 7sets, and feel like I wouldnt need to take Alevel maths if I pursued this - i'd rather just take 3, PPE/

Currently I'm making progress, but we're going quickly but doing the same as set1 atm. Is it possible to get either into set1 or do it separately. (they told us they only start the further maths coursework in year11) If it is how?? THANK YOU FOR ALL ADVICE xoxox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miniminx3310)
    fyi - im year10

Last year, they told us set1/2 would take further maths. turns out my school lied. Their only letting set1 take it. currently I'm in set2, (but i didn t revise for maths as too occupied on science as they were setting us).
    Im at a grammar school w 7sets, and feel like I wouldnt need to take Alevel maths if I pursued this - i'd rather just take 3, PPE/

Currently I'm making progress, but we're going quickly but doing the same as set1 atm. Is it possible to get either into set1 or do it separately. (they told us they only start the further maths coursework in year11) If it is how?? THANK YOU FOR ALL ADVICE xoxox
    As a matter of fact, I too was told that I would be taking further maths (I'm in Year 11 and have been in Set 1 through all years), and my school have told us that we are not being entered for further maths due to the new GCSE being as hard as further. This many not apply to your school too but if not, I would recommend that you have a meeting with your school's head of maths and tell them your situation - if you really are determined to do it I'm sure they'll allow you to on the premise that you work hard for it!

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miniminx3310)
    fyi - im year10

I would not consider FM as an alternative to an a level

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely not count further maths as equivalent to an A level, especially if you want to be taken seriously for university, seeing as you would need A level maths (and maybe even A level further maths) to get into maths related uni courses.

I'm doing A level maths for which you have 6 modules, and GCSE further maths is basically just module one. So in a way GCSE further maths is equivalent to 1/6 of an A level if you want to see it that way. Therefore they can't be compared.

I think if you're good at maths (A* quality cos if you can't even get that in normal maths then how would you be able to cope with further) then maybe you can teach yourself and ask to be entered, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.