Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who does Political Economy at Kings and could tell me if it's interesting/worth it and what it's all about as I'm interested in this degree, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonEcon)
    Political Economy is what Economics used to called back in the 1700s/1800s. If you want a dated degree with little mathematics then by all means go for it.

Personally I'd suggest applying for their new BSc Economics for 2017.
    Ignore this random idiot, I've heard great things about political economy at Kings, by all means, go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by valdokarina)
    Is there anyone who does Political Economy at Kings and could tell me if it's interesting/worth it and what it's all about as I'm interested in this degree, thank you
    I did a Master's in Political Economy and it was really worth it from my pov (though I already knew the work of one of the faculty members - Pennington - and I wanted to work with him). Why are you interested in it? what are your goals? what's your background?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    I did a Master's in Political Economy and it was really worth it from my pov (though I already knew the work of one of the faculty members - Pennington - and I wanted to work with him). Why are you interested in it? what are your goals? what's your background?
    Would you say it's good to do as a degree or better as a Master? I'm interested in it because I love history politics and economics, that's what I do at A levels anyway and a language I might want to work in the Civil Service, but I'm still really not sure what exactly my 'goal' is yet and I picked what I enjoy for A levels then I had a look at course and political economy sounded like something I would enjoy, but I didn't know much about it, like if it's a degree that would open many doors for me so I came on here.

ReputationRep:
    Would you say it's good to do as a degree or better as a Master? I'm interested in it because I love history politics and economics, that's what I do at A levels anyway and a language I might want to work in the Civil Service, but I'm still really not sure what exactly my 'goal' is yet and I picked what I enjoy for A levels then I had a look at course and political economy sounded like something I would enjoy, but I didn't know much about it, like if it's a degree that would open many doors for me so I came on here.
    First, you can work in the civil service with any degree. No pressure to get a specific degree from King's for that.

Second, you sound very young so I won't push on this but you need to have a look at the undergrad modules and see the content. Like, what kind of things they study at undergrad levle and whether you'd be interested in those things.

Third, King's has a good reputation but if you're not going to get into IB or magic circle law or similar occupations which have "target" universities, you don't need to worry about that.

Lastly, I can't tell you which is better 'cos I'm not familiar with the BA programme. The Master's was great for me because as I said, I wanted to my dissertation to be supervised by a professor there as our research interests were similar. As far as I am concerned, the Master's was as a stepping stone to a PhD. Otherwise, I wouldn't think it is useful for anything else.

ReputationRep:

Don't currently study it. However it sounds similar to an Economics and Politics degree. If you enjoy both go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowMan)
    First, you can work in the civil service with any degree. No pressure to get a specific degree from King's for that.

Second, you sound very young so I won't push on this but you need to have a look at the undergrad modules and see the content. Like, what kind of things they study at undergrad levle and whether you'd be interested in those things.

Third, King's has a good reputation but if you're not going to get into IB or magic circle law or similar occupations which have "target" universities, you don't need to worry about that.

Lastly, I can't tell you which is better 'cos I'm not familiar with the BA programme. The Master's was great for me because as I said, I wanted to my dissertation to be supervised by a professor there as our research interests were similar. As far as I am concerned, the Master's was as a stepping stone to a PhD. Otherwise, I wouldn't think it is useful for anything else.
    I see, thank you very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.