Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Brideshead Revisited watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is on of my favourite books of all time! I just though I'd set up this convo to see what other people thought of the book and to find out what other people got out of it!

Post Away

ReputationRep:
    I've never read it but it sounds reasonably interesting.
    Antony Andrews was in an adaptation of it, therefore it must be quite good

ReputationRep:
    The adaptation is very good! I have it on video and CD. It’s very moving. However, I was disturbed to find that the film is being made in Hollywood and that the Americans are taken out the theme of religion so that it is more marketable. Isn't religion the main theme of the book? Waugh wrote it to explore how you can discover religion.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when they do that to films :mad: *cough* Les Miserables *cough*

I keep meaning to have a look for a cheap copy of the film

ReputationRep:
    It’s always cheap on EBay and is on sale all year round in HMV.

I also hate it when they do that to books. Directors should do it some artistic integrity rather than worry about how many people it appeals to. The beauty of the book is that it is relatively undiscovered and cherished by those people who have read it.

They are going to put it on the mass market and I'll have to put up with people talking about the film when it bears no resemblance to the book. Waugh would turn in his grave.

ReputationRep:
    I just realised:
    Antony Andrews of Brideshead Revisited fame was in the Scarlet Pimpernel 1982 version. This bears very little resemblance plot-wise to the actual novel of the Scarlet Pimpernel, instead nicking a plot from one of its many sequels. Plus it's slightly historically inaccurate.
    Oh look! Here I am saying books should be left as they are when it comes to adaptations. Oh I'm such a hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.