Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at application requirements for Physics PhDs and many of the top unis (Oxbridge, Durham, London etc) state that most successful applicants have a strong first.

I'm in my final year of an MPhys and on a rough average of 74. My dissertation this year is worth 50% of my grade for the year, so I think I can maintain or push my average up to 75, 76 tops.

Would this be considered in the realm of a 'strong' first? Or should I save my time and money if they're looking for 80+?

PS: I know that grades are only one element of the application, but I don't want to fall at the first hurdle if I can help it.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EuskaltelEuskadi)
    Top 10% of a high ranking University, top 5% of a mid rank university, top 2% of a low rank university. The scale of grading, especially above about 70% is so institution specific that specifying a specific number is laden with risk.

Strong really refers not to a specific grade, but an all round 'strong' package, ie not just outstanding grades, but also research proposal, references etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Top 10% of a high ranking University, top 5% of a mid rank university, top 2% of a low rank university. The scale of grading, especially above about 70% is so institution specific that specifying a specific number is laden with risk.

Strong really refers not to a specific grade, but an all round 'strong' package, ie not just outstanding grades, but also research proposal, references etc.
    That's very helpful, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on your university (for example, my undergrad uni used a non-linear 20-point scale so you can't easily compare me to someone with a %), it really means how close you were to the 1st boundary at your university.

On a side note:
    Did you "comfortably" get a first or was it a struggle? You should try to match yourself to the uni. If you killed yourself to get a 1st you probably won't be happy at an institution were they expect a "strong" first. If you comfortably achieved a first then that should show through in your whole application.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.