Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Theresa May speech at the Tory conference Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Theresa May made the keynote address to the Tory conference today. I've attached here the YouTube clip with the speech. I haven't had an opportunity to watch it yet, but for those who have.. thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    The delivery wasn't masterly, but it was competently workmanlike and credible. As a Labour voter and member, to me she comes across as being up to the job, an impression distinctly lacking in her opposite number. That alone will continue to be one of her biggest assets in terms of staying in power.

An interesting promise was that May said all current employment rights enjoyed by workers will be guaranteed as long as she is Prime Minister, that there will be no "bonfire of the employment protections" after a Brexit. I think that is a worthy promise to make given the extreme pressure she will be under from the donor class that provides so much of the Tories' funding.

I was somewhat disappointed that the entire speech was taken up by Brexit-related matters. I would have liked to hear about national security, foreign and defence policy. Though I did enjoy her panegyric to Britain's power and influence in the world at 20:25 in the video; "We don't need to 'punch above our weight', because our weight is substantial enough already".

Finally, it was fascinating that she ended on "Let's keep working, to make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for everyone in this great country". She really is a different kind of animal to previous Tory leaders with her rhetoric about inequality. We shall see whether she is able to make that rhetorical preference a policy reality.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    The delivery wasn't masterly, but it was competently workmanlike and credible. As a Labour voter and member, to me she comes across as being up to the job, an impression distinctly lacking in her opposite number. That alone will continue to be one of her biggest assets in terms of staying in power.

An interesting promise was that May said all current employment rights enjoyed by workers will be guaranteed as long as she is Prime Minister, that there will be no "bonfire of the employment protections" after a Brexit. I think that is a worthy promise to make given the extreme pressure she will be under from the donor class that provides so much of the Tories' funding.

I was somewhat disappointed that the entire speech was taken up by Brexit-related matters. I would have liked to hear about national security, foreign and defence policy. Though I did enjoy her panegyric to Britain's power and influence in the world at 20:25 in the video; "We don't need to 'punch above our weight', because our weight is substantial enough already".

Finally, it was fascinating that she ended on "Let's keep working, to make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for everyone in this great country". She really is a different kind of animal to previous Tory leaders with her rhetoric about inequality. We shall see whether she is able to make that rhetorical preference a policy reality.
    The proof will be in the pudding. She's strong on rhetoric but I have very little confidence that she'll follow through on her one nation talk.

I also don't like how she seems to be marching to the tune of her hard right back benchers rather than the modernisers in her party.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.