Do you talk about your GCSE'S in your PS?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've ran out of things to say in my PS... I've not done anything extra curricular what so ever and I'm beginning to worry because my personal statement just isn't full enough... Do you talk about your GCSE'S?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhystolson)
    Hey, I've ran out of things to say in my PS... I've not done anything extra curricular what so ever and I'm beginning to worry because my personal statement just isn't full enough... Do you talk about your GCSE'S?
    You can talk about a topic you enjoyed, if it's relevant to the degree. But other than that there's not much to say.

ReputationRep:

There is no need to mention your GCSEs, your subjects and grades are already included in your application so this is a waste of space.

You may be better off finding some sort of volunteering or work experience in your chosen area and applying closer to the deadline as most courses will expect applicants to have some sort of relevant experience to demonstrate that they are passionate about the area of study.*

ReputationRep:
    No point if you have already mentioned them.

ReputationRep:
    Only if it's relevant to the course, really they want to know what you did that was relevant in your A levels or if you did anything in your own time; whether you really love the subject or not.

If you have any family that do anything related to the subject, you can give an anecdote regarding them as a main reason why you got interested in the first place. Uni interviewers tend to like family-oriented people as it makes you seem more honest and likely to be hard working. Just make sure there's actual truth in there, because they do ask you more about these things.

ReputationRep:
    Not the subject or why you did it. There is a separate section on UCAS for listing your academics.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mention anything related to the grades, they're obvious because you have to add them elsewhere and shows that you don't have anything else to talk about which is never a good sign.

You can however mention them as evidence for other traits and qualities. For example if you wrote "I am a good team leader" you could use the fact you were team leader for a group in Geography that won a competition.

Don't mention your grades because you're wasting your time but you can mention your academic subjects as evidence for something else.

The bigger issue is that you've run out of things to talk about. I never had any extra curricular activities to talk about and struggled massively to get my personal statement down to the character/line limit. Are you sure you've discussed everything you possibly can?

ReputationRep:
    How the actual duck did you manage to not find anything else to say looll mine's for Economics and I struggled to fit it into 4000 characters (have done it now) O.o :P But no don't talk about your grades, your teachers' reference can include that but deffo not in ur statement. Try leisure activities, why you like the subject, what have you done to show that?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.