Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help on these AS-Level Edexcel Economics Questions. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    6.)What will be the impact on UK house prices of the following? Refer to the relevant change in demand or supply in your answer.
    a) A fall in UK employment (2 marks)
    b) An increase in the cost of building materials, such as bricks (2 marks)

Can someone please help me on these questions? I would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)
    6.)What will be the impact on UK house prices of the following? Refer to the relevant change in demand or supply in your answer.

a) Well a fall in UK employment will almost certainly coincide with a fall in average incomes. If you imagine an AD/AS graph with either AD or AS decreasing, this would lead to a fall in real income and so, ceteris paribus, average incomes will fall. If average incomes fall, what do you think will happen to the demand for housing? Once you can figure that out, it shouldn't be to difficult for you to find out what will happen to the price of UK housing, assuming you understand demand and supply diagrams.
    b) If the cost of building materials increases, this means that the cost of production for houses will increase. Do you know what happens to supply curves when costs of production increase? If so, what do you think will happen to the supply for housing, considering the fact that the cost of production of housing have gone up? Once you can figure this out, the impact on prices shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

If you need more guidance, feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dp00)

Due to a fall in employment, the demand for housing may fall as overall incomes have decreased, therefore the house prices will fall. Illustrate this with a supply and demand curve with demand curve shifting left and this should show a decrease in quantity demanded and decrease in price.

As the cost of production has risen (make sure to use this phrase as it is a key phrase I guess you can say), this will mean supply will fall (you can say it is less profitable or less incentive for firms to build houses), therefore supply curve should shift left, leading to an increase in price and a reduction in quantity supplied.

Hope this helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.