A level Maths - If more students knew Graphical Calculators were allowed

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the amount of A*s would increase significantly

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. Reliance upon a graphical calculator won't compensate for a lack of understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naruke)
    the amount of A*s would increase significantly
    I don't really think they should be allowed: they take away a lot of the skill, and you won't be allowed one at most University exams anyway (if you study Maths, from what I've heard on here and from other sources). It also gives people an unfair advantage if they go and spend that £60+ on a graphical calculator compared to somebody who doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it would, it would have got me 2 extra marks in my C3 exam, but graph sketching doesn't come up for many marks.

ReputationRep:
    Well apparently there going to be compulsory from next year anyway

ReputationRep:
    My brother had a graphical calculator and he still got a C. I won't have a graphical calculator and I will get at least an A, hopefully an A*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    I don't really think they should be allowed: they take away a lot of the skill, and you won't be allowed one at most University exams anyway (if you study Maths, from what I've heard on here and from other sources). It also gives people an unfair advantage if they go and spend that £60+ on a graphical calculator compared to somebody who doesn't.
    Maybe they shouldn't be allowed. However, they are allowed.

Not using one would be giving yourself an unnecessary disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    My brother had a graphical calculator and he still got a C. I won't have a graphical calculator and I will get at least an A, hopefully an A*
    That is definitely a rare case.

He probably never knew how to fully utilise his graphical calculator.

ReputationRep:

He's currently doing a masters in Computer Science. He definitely knew how to do it.
    The problem was that he didn't have that solid basis in maths. He struggled to keep up with it and found it very hard, and he got that C with extra tuition afterschoool. The problem wasn't that he couldn't fully utilise it, it was that he didn't understand the maths in the first place.

ReputationRep:

It really isn't. But what you've basically done is substituted a lack of understanding in maths for a lack of understanding concerning the use of graphical calculators.

The number of A* might increase marginally but frankly the people getting A* probably know whether they're allowed to and would be making full use of resources like graphical calculators anyway if they wanted. Not to mention they're likely to be capable students who can get good grades without a calculator.

Giving students technology does not mean they now have knowledge. Giving lesser able students a calculator will not improve their grades. Ultimately if they know how to use a calculator then they know how to answer the question.

I'm also going to be that guy, how do you propose it will increase A*'s substantially? Someone doing English, or Art, or Creative Writing, or many other subjects will have absolutely no use for a graphical calculator. Any increase would be minimal and focused on a handful of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    graphical calculators are for noobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    graphical calculators are for noobs
    In the majority of developed countries, GDCs are required for most public maths exams at this level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    In the majority of developed countries, GDCs are required for most public maths exams at this level.
    News to me. Certainly I never needed one and I did A2 two years ago (well, 2014/15).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    News to me. Certainly I never needed one and I did A2 two years ago (well, 2014/15).
    I know, in the UK they're not especially needed. But in most countries, having compulsory GDCs means examiners can set questions that require GDCs, e.g. numerically solving equations like e^x + sin x = 3, or sketching graphs like yx^2 + xy^2 = 7. Ultimately this means that a wider variety of problems can be included on exams papers, which can only be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    I know, in the UK they're not especially needed. But in most countries, having compulsory GDCs means examiners can set questions that require GDCs, e.g. numerically solving equations like e^x + sin x = 3, or sketching graphs like yx^2 + xy^2 = 7. Ultimately this means that a wider variety of problems can be included on exams papers, which can only be a good thing.
    That does seem good to be fair. My comment was mainly made considering the fact that the graphical questions in A level are not particularly taxing.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.