The Student Room Group

Picking up an AS level in my A2 year? Advice please!

So I'm thinking of doing AS Geography alongside my three A levels (Spanish, Philosophy&Ethics, Law). I did Art last year as an AS but it didn't turn out well and I got a C grade. If I picked up geography then it would mean I have at least four academic AS levels. The only thing worrying me is the workload. I'm applying to read Spanish and Portuguese at uni.
I would advise you not to do this.

Firstly there is no need to have done 4 AS levels anymore. All unis have abolished their requirement for a fourth AS level because they know that some schools won't be submitting candidates for the AS exams anymore due to the reforms.

Secondly, for the universities that stipulate that you should have done 'traditional' subjects, you only need to have done two. You don't need to do more than this (Law doesn't count as a 'traditional' subject btw). And besides, they won't care if it's just an AS; it has to be an A2 to count.

Thirdly you may not be able to handle the workload. You got a C grade in your fourth AS last year. This year you'll be doing A2, which is more demanding. Why do you think you'll be able to get a better grade this year when you'll be under even more pressure?

Quick Reply

Latest