Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR History Week Competition: Create your own fact file - win a £10 Amazon Voucher! Watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This week is TSR History Week! Throughout the week we will be running a variety of threads from all eras in history. During this week, we will be looking for users to put fact files together about any Historical event, figure, or era of your choice :viking: The best fact file will win a £10 Amazon voucher! :king1: :present:

Either post your fact file here or make your own thread in the History section. Please feel free to use links, images, and references! Please keep your fact file between 50-500 words and post it by midnight on Friday the 7th if you want to enter the competition, feel free to post others after this date in the section

Example template:

Topic (name of event/figure/era):
    Date(s):
    Description:
    Significant people involved:
    Consequences:
    Impact:
    Favourite fact:

Feel free to add in any other area or omit sections which aren't required

ReputationRep:
    Topic (name of event/figure/era): The War Of 1812

Date(s): 1812-1815

What happened: The year is 1812; Britain is at war with Napoleon's France. The newsly independent country the United States of America sees it's chance to eradicate the British Empire from North America and declares war. America knows with Britain tied down in Europe, British Canada will be left with only basic defences and launches an invasion. However, to their suprise, the Canadians manage to repel all the American advances and even retaliates by occupying Detroit. The British had the support of most of the Native American tribes, which helped fight against the United States. Eventually, Britain defeated Napoleon in Europe and was able to send reinforcments to fight America. This even led to an invasion of Washington D.C., in which the President of the United States James Madison himself had to take up arms to fight. The President and his men were forced to retreat and the British occupied the capital of the United States and burned the White House and the Capitol building, only being pushed out by a freak tornado that just happened to strike that day. By 1815, the British tired of war and the Americans knew they couldn't win. The Duke of Wellington even said no one would be able to win the war and, consequently, the Treaty of Paris was signed, once again bringing peace to North America.

Significant people involved: Americans: President James Madison, General Andrew Jackson. British: King George III, Lord Liverpool, Major-General General Sir Isaac Brock, Tecumseh.

Consequences: Ultimately, despite the British doing very well in the war, and America getting some success in the later stages, the boundaries between the United States and British Canada don't change from before the war started in 1812 to when it finished in 1815. Overall, everything went back to the status quo.

Impact: While the war is largely forgotten in America, because they got their asses kicked (words of an American historian, not mine.), and in Britain, probably because Britain likes to forgot we ever had an Empire, the war is remembered quite well in Canada and is regarded as a defining moment in Canadian history. Before America invaded, most Canadians were not sure whether they identified as American or British. Defending against invaders gave Canadians a national identity and one that is undoubtly linked to the British Empire.

Favourite fact: The final battle of the war, The Battle of New Orleans, took place AFTER the war ended. This was because the peace treaty was signed in Paris and it took two weeks for this news to reach America. In that time, General Andrew Jackson, who went on to become President, led a heavily outnumbered American army to victory against a British invasion attempt of New Orleans. Consequently, it was mistakenly thought by some Americans that it was this battle that caused the British to accept peace.

ReputationRep:
    The Murder of Oda Nobunaga (1582)

Date: June 21st 1582.

The great warlord Oda Nobunaga, born in Nagoya Castle in June 1534, became the leader of the Oda Clan after the death of his father, Oda Nobuhide, in 1551. His father's ambition had been to unite all of Owari Province under one rule. Oda Nobunaga not only finished his father's work, but went a step further and decided that he would unite all of Japan in the same way. His loyal retainers, Hashiba Hideyoshi and Akechi Mitsuhide, were by his side every step of the way - determined to help him complete his goal.

By the summer of 1582, Oda Nobunaga had succeeded in uniting over half of Japan's main island, Honshu, under the rule of the Oda Clan. He had his eyes set on Chugoku, on the west coast, as his next target. Two nights before his 48th birthday, he stopped for the night at the Honno-ji Temple in Kyoto - the capital city of the time, also located in his domain. That night, the temple went up in flames. Akechi Mitsuhide had turned on him. His troops surrounded the temple, overpowering Oda Nobunaga's small group of men, leaving them trapped inside the burning temple. Instead of waiting for the fire to kill him, Oda Nobunaga resolved to take his own life by seppuku: disembowelling himself with his sword. An honourable way for a samurai to die.

Although lost, Oda Nobunaga's dream didn't wither out like the flames of the Honno-ji Temple. Hashiba Hideyoshi avenged his leader's death, being the one to take Akechi Mitsuhide's head, eleven days later in the Battle of Yamasaki. Rather than one of Oda Nobunaga's seven sons, it was decided by the Oda Clan elders that it would be Hashiba who would succeed Oda Nobunaga. Staying true, Hashiba took out everyone who opposed the Oda Clan's goals and eventually succeeded in carrying out the task Oda Nobunaga never could: unifying Japan.

While Oda Nobunaga changed the political structure of his entire country, this was not the only impact he had on Japan. He changed the way in which war was fought, altering existing weapons for long-range attacks and establishing castles to use as a means of defence on larger battlefields. He was also notable for the introduction of Western clothing and being in support of the first church, coincidentally built in the place of his death: Kyoto.

Significant Persons:
    Oda Nobunaga, Hashiba Hideyoshi, Akechi Mitsuhide, Mori Ranmaru.

Favourite Fact:
    While a powerful warlord, there was a softer side to Oda Nobunaga. His wife Lady Nō, whom he married for political means and was rumoured to even hate, was barren. His eleven children were conceived via concubines. But it seems his most intimate relationship was with his young pageboy, Mori Ranmaru. And when Oda Nobunaga died in 1582 the nineteen-year-old pageboy followed the warlord into death by too committing seppuku.

(496 words including titles etc).

Thank you for the opportunity to nerd out over Nobunaga. I've been obsessed with his reign and the Azuchi-Momoyama period ever since I heard a beautiful song back in April 2009, 1582 by Kazuya Kamenashi, written from the POV of Mori Ranmaru. :heart:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Topic: Edward Arnold "Eddie" Chapman

Date(s): Life: 16/11/1914 - 11/12/1997 In action: WW2

Summary: Edward Chapman was arrested and jailed a number of times in his lifetime. One time, while on bail, he fled to the Channel Islands and attempted to continue his career as a criminal. After committing a burglary there, he was arrested and sent to prison for 2 years. He was still in prison when the Channel Islands were invaded by the Germans. He was transferred to Fort de Romainville in Paris, where he agreed to be a spy for the Germans. He trained in a number of skills, before being dispatched by plane to Britain. His first task was to sabotage the Havilland aircraft factory. When confronted by the police, who were tasked to bring him in since MI5 had heard of him through their use of Ultra, he immediately surrendered and offered his services to MI5, who decided to use him as a double agent. During the night of 29/01/1943, Chapman, with the help of MI5, faked the sabotage attack that the Germans tasked him to. German aircraft photographed the damage, and reported back to Chapman's handlers that he had been successful. After the subterfuge, he was sent back to his German handlers, who seemed reluctant to receive him. He had to join the crew of a ship to Lisbon, before meeting at the German embassy. There, he suggested that they use him to plant a bomb disguised as coal in the coal bunker of the City of Lancaster (a British ship), which they agreed to. He used this to report back to Britain about the bombs the Germans were making. He was given two bombs, which he immediately gave to the British ship's Captain. The Germans did not realise the attack had not been carried out, thanks to a fake investigation carried out by the British to suggest it had been damaged. He was then sent to German occupied Norway where he taught in a German spy school. There, he photographed the German agents that lived with him in his safe-house and became a trusted member of the German army. After the Battle of Normandy, the Germans sent him back to Britain to report on the accuracy of the V-1 and the Hedgehog antisubmarine weapons. He landed by parachute in Cambridgeshire, and made his way to London where he reported back to the Germans regularly that they were hitting their Central London target with their bombs, when in fact they were falling short and hitting countryside. The Germans never corrected their aim, and much less damage was done than planned. On 02/11/1944, he was dismissed from MI5 due to associating with criminal gangs and hiding sources of his income.

Impact: Because of Chapman's work with MI5, the Havilland aircraft factory remained in action, and much less damage was done to London which saved many lives.

Fun fact: Chapman's codename was 'Agent Zigzag'.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wow these are so amazing and I'm really enjoying reading them! Great work similarBlank sinfonietta chelseadagg3r :ahee:

Just to let you know there is just under 2 days left of the competition (enter by midnight tomorrow to be in with a chance of winning!), and our very own History Support Team Member Airmed will be judging the entries this weekend
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Wow these are so amazing and I'm really enjoying reading them! Great work similarBlank sinfonietta chelseadagg3r :ahee:

Just to let you know there is just under 2 days left of the competition (enter by midnight tomorrow to be in with a chance of winning!), and our very own History Support Team Member Airmed will be judging the entries this weekend
    Reading history factfiles on my birthday, what more fun could I have?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    Reading history factfiles on my birthday, what more fun could I have?
    Can I ask which day? Exciting! :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Can I ask which day? Exciting! :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Today

ReputationRep:
    Today
    Happy Birthday!

A lot of people seem to have birthdays around this time of year, mine was just over a week ago and I got a bunch of friends on a website who have theirs pretty much in a row before and after mine.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Today
    Good timing Happy Birthday! Have a lovely day! :woo:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Happy Birthday!

A lot of people seem to have birthdays around this time of year, mine was just over a week ago and I got a bunch of friends on a website who have theirs pretty much in a row before and after mine.
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Good timing Happy Birthday! Have a lovely day! :woo:
    Thank you, both of you! :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

The judging is done, the votes are in, and I'm here to announce the winner!

The winner of the £10 Amazon voucher is....

Spoiler:
    Show

Commiserations to the others! All factfiles were amazing tbh, and I spent most of Saturday afternoon on Wikipedia looking up things from all 3 factfiles.

Danny Dorito and Queen Cersei will be in touch to arrange the prize.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!! I'm really glad you liked my entry. Gotta spread the Nobunaga love.

If you ever fancy reading into the Azuchi-Momoyama period, there is an amazing book written about Hideyoshi's life: Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's almost 950pgs in length but oh my god it's so fascinating. :heart:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinfonietta)
    Thank you so much!! I'm really glad you liked my entry. Gotta spread the Nobunaga love.

If you ever fancy reading into the Azuchi-Momoyama period, there is an amazing book written about Hideyoshi's life: Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan by Eiji Yoshikawa. It's almost 950pgs in length but oh my god it's so fascinating. :heart:
    *takes notes*

Will look into it! Have a backlog of 9 history books already, but sure let's bring it to 10. :mmm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.