0% acceptance rate?

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I want to apply for Russian (single) and found admission statistics on their website; https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO...showVizHome=no
    Anyway for the 2015 cycle there was a 0% acceptance rate and the years before very few people applied for Russian, something like 15 applications over 3 years with 1 person getting in (which is slightly worrying).
    My question is basically why is it like this, can there only be 1 person on the course? Am I at a disadvantage for some reason if I apply for single honours Russian (then again, most of the joint courses are still very low, some with 0 applicants)?
    Any information about this in general would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigwang)
    So I want to apply for Russian (single) and found admission statistics on their website; https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO...showVizHome=no
    Anyway for the 2015 cycle there was a 0% acceptance rate and the years before very few people applied for Russian, something like 15 applications over 3 years with 1 person getting in (which is slightly worrying).
    My question is basically why is it like this, can there only be 1 person on the course? Am I at a disadvantage for some reason if I apply for single honours Russian (then again, most of the joint courses are still very low, some with 0 applicants)?
    Any information about this in general would be helpful.
    It might be best to ask admissions about this as they would know best, however, @BrasenoseAdm might also be able to help.
    I suspect that it is Modern Languages as the parent course, rather than the individual languages, for which the offer quota is filled and this means that the offer rate for different languages (single and joint) will fluctuate year on year. Russian is traditionally a less common language to study in the UK, probably hence the low application numbers and why the fluctuations are more noticeable. How that translates to offers probably lies with the applicant quality each year and probably how they compare to applicants for other languages also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    It might be best to ask admissions about this as they would know best, however, @BrasenoseAdm might also be able to help.
    I suspect that it is Modern Languages as the parent course, rather than the individual languages, for which the offer quota is filled and this means that the offer rate for different languages (single and joint) will fluctuate year on year. Russian is traditionally a less common language to study in the UK, probably hence the low application numbers and why the fluctuations are more noticeable. How that translates to offers probably lies with the applicant quality each year and probably how they compare to applicants for other languages also.
    The thing I don't understand is how would the course be taught at all if only 1 student is admitted to it? Would it be entirely private and if there is no one admitted to it would they just not teach it?

ReputationRep:
    The thing I don't understand is how would the course be taught at all if only 1 student is admitted to it? Would it be entirely private and if there is no one admitted to it would they just not teach it?
    Thanks for your query. If you could you quote the UCAS course code you are interested in, we will have a look at application stats for you.

We share a Russian Tutor who is based at Univ (ie University College), Professor Polly Jones, so suggest adding Univ to your potential list of colleges.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine that the teaching would be heavily tutorial based. You would probably follow a very similar structure to the other modern language students (in terms of what is expected examination-wise for prelims and finals) but the content would be different. And yes, presumably if nobody is admitted, the course isn't taught that year. Even in other subjects, the teaching is quite private due to the tutorial system - you might find that unless the faculty/department provides worksheets etc. for tutorials, then students of the same subject at different colleges and even within the same college might be having tutorials based on different topics. This was certainly the case for biochemistry anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Thanks for your query. If you could you quote the UCAS course code you are interested in, we will have a look at application stats for you.

We share a Russian Tutor who is based at Univ (ie University College), Professor Polly Jones, so suggest adding Univ to your potential list of colleges.
    Hello, the code is R711 and I found some stats here: https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO...showVizHome=no

Not sure if i'm looking in the right place or not, any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hello, the code is R711 and I found some stats here: https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO...showVizHome=no

Not sure if i'm looking in the right place or not, any help would be appreciated
    We found 4 applications for Russian sole (R711) and of these 2 resulted in offers - one apiece from Univ and Wadham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    We found 4 applications for Russian sole (R711) and of these 2 resulted in offers - one apiece from Univ and Wadham.
    Thank you for clearing this up!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for clearing this up!
    You are welcome - best of luck with your application! Lena read German and Russian with us, was taught by Prof Polly Jones at Univ, and wrote this lovely blog about her year abroad:

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brase...a-term-in-bonn

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.