IS THIS GRAPH RIGHT? (Taking into account domain )

ReputationRep:
    Hi check my graph please.Name:  IMG_2900.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  304.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    SeanFM Maths 123 gdunne42

ReputationRep:
    Almost, I would be persnickety and say that the graph is not defined for x>4 or x<0 so there should be no lines there.

ReputationRep:
    the curve should begin at ( 2, 4 ) ... this means it will be higher than the end of the straight line, which ends at ( 2, 2 )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Almost, I would be persnickety and say that the graph is not defined for x>4 or x<0 so there should be no lines there.

I'm confused 😅

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jane122)
    I'm confused 😅
    Well, what is f(-1)? How about f(5)? The answer is that they are not defined by the function f(x) so there should not be any y values for x values outside of the specified range. Your graph suggests that f(-1) = -1 and f(5) = 4*5 - 25.

And as the bear said.. I hadn't noticed.. your line should finish below the curve, if you see his post you'll understand why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the curve should begin at ( 2, 4 ) ... this means it will be higher than the end of the straight line, which ends at ( 2, 2 )
    Like this ?Name:  IMG_2901.jpg
Size:  493.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Well, what is f(-1)? How about f(5)? The answer is that they are not defined by the function f(x) so there should not be any y values for x values outside of the specified range. Your graph suggests that f(-1) = -1 and f(5) = 4*5 - 25.

And as the bear said.. I hadn't noticed.. your line should finish below the curve, if you see his post you'll understand why.
    F(1) is -5 and f(5) is also -5

ReputationRep:
    F(1) is -5 and f(5) is also -5
    They are not. Y values for this f(x) only exist between x=0 and x = 4. -5 and 5 are outside of this range so they have no corresponding y values.

ReputationRep:
    They are not. Y values for this f(x) only exist between x=0 and x = 4. -5 and 5 are outside of this range so they have no corresponding y values.
    So the graph should end at 4? How am I supposed to know that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the only one whose looking at the graph and thinking WTF? 😁😁😁 Am I??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From the definition of the function.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the only one whose looking at this graph and thinking WTF am I?? 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi check my graph please.Name:  IMG_2900.jpg
Size:  304.5 KB
    ahh flashbacks! burn it! BURN IT!!!111ERE

ReputationRep:
    From the definition of the function.
    Ok I am really really stuck.. I don't know why the graph stops dead at 4? Like if you draw beyond but that are the values not less than 4 still?

ReputationRep:
    Since there is no function defined for any x after 4 or before 0, so no graph can be plotted. Also the endpoint for 4x-x^2 should be coloured in since it's not a strict inequality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Since there is no function defined for any x after 4 or before 0, so no graph can be plotted. Also the endpoint for 4x-x^2 should be coloured in since it's not a strict inequality
    Name:  IMG_2921.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  497.4 KB But the 4x-x^2 graph is going through 4???

ReputationRep:
    Ok I am really really stuck.. I don't know why the graph stops dead at 4? Like if you draw beyond but that are the values not less than 4 still?
    If you were in a sweet factory and there was a sign that said 'red sweets go into box 1 and blue sweets go into box 2' then where would green sweets go? Who knows. Green is not red or blue, so who can say where it goes? No one can. The same way this function tells you where values between 0 and 4 go but not for anything outside those values.

ReputationRep:
    If you were in a sweet factory and there was a sign that said 'red sweets go into box 1 and blue sweets go into box 2' then where would green sweets go? Who knows. Green is not red or blue, so who can say where it goes? No one can. The same way this function tells you where values between 0 and 4 go but not for anything outside those values.

I see what you mean like where would 5,6,7 etc go. But the way I drew the graph makes it look like it passes through 4

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_2921.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  497.4 KB But the 4x-x^2 graph is going through 4???
    4x-x^2 does go through 4 normally, however in your OP, you said the domain for it is 2<= x <= 4, so your x co-ordinates should stop dead at 4. Any number past 4 isn't in the domain of 4x-x^2, and thus shouldn't be plotted.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 2, 2016
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.