The Student Room Group

Theresa may our worst PM in History?

I honestly think Theresa may will go down as our worst PM in history. First, of all she's unelected, the last time we had an unelected PM he was despised by the population and like May he had the charisma of a rock. Secondly, this unelected PM also presided over a massive financial crisis which he failed to fix leading to him losing to David porky Cameron. May is also in a similar position, she's attempting to carry out a hard Brexit, which will likely be devastating for our economy.

I think she is an incredibly weak person who's way out of her depth and will be unable to get any of her "ideas" passed due to the fact she has a majority of 12 and if she really does carry out a hard Brexit by 2019 the self-inflicted recession is likely to devastate her chances of reelection. She would need to call a snap election to accomplish anything of note before the effects of Brexit destroy her chances but luckily for me she is too stupid to do this. So on the whole she's going to be a completely forgettable PM who accomplishes nothing of note other than handing over the keys to the country to Corbyn and ruining my career prospects to please some xenophobic pensioners.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, you really are intelligent, intelligent con. If you had any brain cells you would realise that none of our Prime Ministers are elected and the prime Ministers are picked by the party which can first form a government in the House of Commons. Typical Remainian
She's a decent leader but nowhere near conservative enough, not to mention she was a remainer. I'm a staunch UKIPper myself, but out of all the Tories I think Philip Davies should have been PM.
No. She's proven to be a competent leader with a huge anount of experience behind her.

We don't elect the prime minister - this isn't America. We vote for a government and after Cameron's resignation she happend to be the leader of the party propelling her into the position.

Let me tell you this, had she delayed Article 50 or not carry it out at all there'd be worse feelings towards her. The willingness to carry it out shows us how determined she is if anything.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by #ChaosKass
She's a decent leader but nowhere near conservative enough, not to mention she was a remainer. I'm a staunch UKIPper myself, but out of all the Tories I think Philip Davies should have been PM.

I don't think it's fair to criticise her because she was a remainer.

There were many in the cabinet who were eurosceptics and would have voted leave, even though collective responsibility was essentially called off, Cameron's system of government was that of a 'chumocracy' - where friends and loyalists move up the ranks. Most people, even those on the leave side, thought remain were going to win and thus Cameron would have stayed as PM. And so it would have been unwise for them to back Brexit to risk their position in government, as they would have voted and argued against Cameron.
Original post by jamestg
I don't think it's fair to criticise her because she was a remainer.

There were many in the cabinet who were eurosceptics and would have voted leave, even though collective responsibility was essentially called off, Cameron's system of government was that of a 'chumocracy' - where friends and loyalists move up the ranks. Most people, even those on the leave side, thought remain were going to win and thus Cameron would have stayed as PM. And so it would have been unwise for them to back Brexit to risk their position in government, as they would have voted and argued against Cameron.

Yeah, to be fair, May seems to be a bit of a crony as well, appointing Hammond as Chancellor, since he's best friends with her. Although he is infinitely times better than Osbourne.
How did I predict that this would stem from her pushing on with Brexit? Ah yes, because I saw who posted the thread before I clicked it...
Nah she's not the worst, she's massively overrated though.
Lol give her a chance, she's only been in power for a few weeks

The worst in my lifetime was probably Blair or Brown
Reply 9
Original post by BobBobson
Yeah, to be fair, May seems to be a bit of a crony as well, appointing Hammond as Chancellor, since he's best friends with her. Although he is infinitely times better than Osbourne.

I think Hammond is the only case of cronyism, after all she isn't in any special Tory circles with MPs or the media. But imo the relationship between the PM and Chancellor should be strong and, at a time like this, both have to have similar opinions.
She's better than that plonker David Cameron who caused austerity and always ignored the dear public when they questioned him and challenged him about the lack of entry level job opportunities and many other issues of UK.
(edited 7 years ago)
She's very authoritarian which is a real shame.
Original post by intelligent con
I honestly think Theresa may will go down as our worst PM in history. First, of all she's unelected, the last time we had an unelected PM he was despised by the population and like May he had the charisma of a rock.

The last time I remembered we vote for parties. We are not a presidency

Secondly, this unelected PM also presided over a massive financial crisis which he failed to fix leading to him losing to David porky Cameron. May is also in a similar position, she's attempting to carry out a hard Brexit, which will likely be devastating for our economy.

What's with this hard Brexit and soft Brexit? I think it was Andrew Marr who came up with this and I think this has just caused a lot of trouble.

Unless she doesn't carry us out properly and gets the best deals, then yes our economy will go to wrecks - but we have handled the Brexit vote, I'm pretty sure we can handle this, just with the right decisions.

I think she is an incredibly weak person who's way out of her depth and will be unable to get any of her "ideas" passed due to the fact she has a majority of 12 and if she really does carry out a hard Brexit by 2019 the self-inflicted recession is likely to devastate her chances of reelection. She would need to call a snap election to accomplish anything of note before the effects of Brexit destroy her chances but luckily for me she is too stupid to do this. So on the whole she's going to be a completely forgettable PM who accomplishes nothing of note other than handing over the keys to the country to Corbyn and ruining my career prospects to please some xenophobic pensioners.

If you really think Corbyn can win a snap general election you are deluded. Both Lib Dems and UKIP have gained from Labour councils, Labour is in a lot of trouble and it doesn't look like they will be opposition anymore with that man in charge. They don't even have a clear policy on Brexit... they are not government in-waiting.
I honestly think Theresa may will go down as our worst PM in history. First, of all she's unelected, the last time we had an unelected PM he was despised by the population and like May he had the charisma of a rock. Secondly, this unelected PM also presided over a massive financial crisis which he failed to fix leading to him losing to David porky Cameron. May is also in a similar position, she's attempting to carry out a hard Brexit, which will likely be devastating for our economy.

I think she'll be one of the best.

Original post by #ChaosKass

Just listen to her.
Reply 14
Original post by Conceited

We don't elect the prime minister - this isn't America. We vote for a government and after Cameron's resignation she happend to be the leader of the party propelling her into the position.
Whilst this is technically correct, you wouldn't think so come election time. Virtually all the focus is on the leader and their personality, with very little attention paid to policies or other MPs. The leaders even have a habit of resigning after 'they lose'
I'd say she's about average, so just like most politicians, mediocre.

Lefty ******. It's no surprise that you'd have a negative opinion of May, it's simply because you're a leftist. Even if the leader was elected, you'd still probably bash him/her if it was a conservative one.
She's essentially a tribune for the Daily Mail. I don't like her or much of her cabinet, that said I think she's doing a good job on brexit and has the brains to realise this was above else a vote on immigration and as such should be curbed heavily.

David Cameron is far worse for going through with the referendum in the first place- (brexit should have been left to parliament).
I Think May is going the best she can do given the circumstances and i think you will find she is way more popular then Cameron ( Just look at the poll ratings )
She has far exceeded my expectations, thought she'd be Cameron Mk.2 but she is more to the right than I previously thought. I'm sorry for ever doubting you Theresa.

And in reply to the OP, I don't really think you can use the 'unelected' line to invalidate her leadership. Firstly, the electorate votes for the party they want to govern them for the next 5 years, not the leader (although the 2 are very linked). More importantly, if there was a general election tomorrow, the result would be an increased Tory majority, with also perhaps some northern Labour seats going to UKIP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending