Need Advice: Law grad seeks a change of career

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I graduated in 2013 with a 2:1 in Law from Southampton university. Since then however I have worked in the luxury interiors industry (kitchens, bathrooms interiors etc).

I have no legal work experience however I have gained a lot of business experience in the three years I have been involved with logistics, marketing online/offline, client relations, PR, project management (physical projects) and outsourcing work abroad etc like procuring services through efficient and cost effective outlets and lasing with contractors abroad.

However at this time I feel like within this industry the scope of growth is limited in some ways and i dare say I don't particularly feel stimulated or challenged.

The question is: whether it is worth applying for a paralegal position first - LPC - apply for TC.

OR

Apply for TC's now as my current work experience will be deemed as sufficient or of sufficient value to be seriously considered as a candidate.

I hope that makes sense, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just apply for TCs.

A lot of paralegal roles will either expect the LPC or some legal work experience.

You will need to have a strong application beyond your work experience. You will probably need to address the change of career/why you didn't pursue law three years ago too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I'd just apply for TCs.

A lot of paralegal roles will either expect the LPC or some legal work experience.

You will need to have a strong application beyond your work experience. You will probably need to address the change of career/why you didn't pursue law three years ago too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What constitutes a 'strong application' - i do realise that is not an easy question to answer but would like to get your ideas on some factors / features on the application that strengthen it.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Just apply straight for training contracts now. If you get them then great. If not just apply after you do the LPC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isk1)
    Hi all,

I graduated in 2013 with a 2:1 in Law from Southampton university. Since then however I have worked in the luxury interiors industry (kitchens, bathrooms interiors etc).

I have no legal work experience however I have gained a lot of business experience in the three years I have been involved with logistics, marketing online/offline, client relations, PR, project management (physical projects) and outsourcing work abroad etc like procuring services through efficient and cost effective outlets and lasing with contractors abroad.

However at this time I feel like within this industry the scope of growth is limited in some ways and i dare say I don't particularly feel stimulated or challenged.

The question is: whether it is worth applying for a paralegal position first - LPC - apply for TC.

OR

Apply for TC's now as my current work experience will be deemed as sufficient or of sufficient value to be seriously considered as a candidate.

I hope that makes sense, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
    My husband is a solicitor with a big London firm - if I were you I would get a paralegal job first. There are thousands of graduates chasing TCs - and far fewer available now.

If you are lucky you will get a firm that offers their paralegals training contracts - my husbands do after a while.

You need to decide when to fit in the LPC - but you need work experience above anything*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isk1)
    What constitutes a 'strong application' - i do realise that is not an easy question to answer but would like to get your ideas on some factors / features on the application that strengthen it.

Thanks,
    Clear motivation for the job and the career

Strong academics

Extra curricular a to show you like to keep busy and like responsibility

Work experience (doesn't have to be legal if you nailed the first point well).

Written exceptionally well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.