Should I tell my counsellor about my suicidal thoughts?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There was a really rough day last week, super super low. I felt completely hopeless, tired, and done with all this struggle (ED and depression). I was super depressed and emotionally unstable. I was just lost and scared of what I might do. Nothing mattered anymore and I just didn't care. I was sitting in the library at school, too scared to move, in case my body would suddenly take over my brain and move automatically.

I remember looking around, taking in the surrounding and just feeling 'out' and the place foreign and strange. It was a weird feeling. I ended up calling the suicide hotline and talking for 40minutes on the phone, it calmed me down.

Basically, I have my weekly appointment with my counsellor tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should bring it and tell her about my suicidal thoughts and just this incident. I'm 20 but I'm scared she will report it to the school as 'being danger to one self'. Should I tell her about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkmemetchi)
    There was a really rough day last week, super super low. I felt completely hopeless, tired, and done with all this struggle (ED and depression). I was super depressed and emotionally unstable. I was just lost and scared of what I might do. Nothing mattered anymore and I just didn't care. I was sitting in the library at school, too scared to move, in case my body would suddenly take over my brain and move automatically.

I remember looking around, taking in the surrounding and just feeling 'out' and the place foreign and strange. It was a weird feeling. I ended up calling the suicide hotline and talking for 40minutes on the phone, it calmed me down.

Basically, I have my weekly appointment with my counsellor tomorrow and I'm not sure if I should bring it and tell her about my suicidal thoughts and just this incident. I'm 20 but I'm scared she will report it to the school as 'being danger to one self'. Should I tell her about it?
    It's a bit late now sorry but I do think that if you can, telling her would be a good thing to do. She can help you talking it through and with practical advice. She shouldn't tell your school unless she thinks you're in serious danger but if she does it will be because she thinks it's the best thing with your safety in mind. She'll probably focus on what to do if it happens again and how you can keep yourself safe- calling the suicide hotline is a really good thing to have done. I'd also suggest seeing your GP about it if you haven't already but you can talk that through with her. Really hope things work out for you either way.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, Im sorry that your going through this.

I think it would be best for you to tell your counselor, because that is what they are there for. I think once you tell them and get it off your chest, it might make you feel a little bit better, then they can give you advice to help you. Bottling these thoughts up can only make things worse.

I used to keep things bottled up and I'll tell you that, consulting my counselor made things a lot easier for me, and my stress slowly because lifted off of my shoulders.

I hope this helps.

(Original post by pinkmemetchi)

Sorry bit late also, but you absolutely should tell her. If you are worried about confidentiality, then get her to confirm the fact.

You can also speak to your GP who has to keep it confidential I assume you are being seen for the ED as well? You need a coping stragey for when you have a rough time that can maintain you and is easy to follow.

Otherwise the Samaritans if you wnat to talk to someone. 116 123

You need to mention it because you arent in the best frame of mind and its helpful if you share (will make you feel better) and they can give you objective feedback.

Hang in there, keep fighting, things can get better.

Thank you all for the reply. I did tell her at the session last week, she was very understanding and taught me some coping skills and way I can change my thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Counsellors can never guarantee complete confidentiality but they don't always hear suicidal thoughts as something that needs that level of action. It's about state of mind, availability of resources and your ability to access those resources among many things.

I'm really glad you had a positive session. I also think you deserve a huge amount of credit for calling a hotline when you felt really low. Many people find the thought terrifying even if feel they desperately need to call. Also it's that action as well which demonstrates that a safety plan can be implemented too

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.