The Student Room Group

Should I Go for LSE MSc IPE or Economic History?

Hi all,

I'm struggling on whether to apply for LSE taught MSc in IPE or Economic History. I know they're not exactly similar content-wise, but what I'm looking for is a degree with an economy aspect and high private sector employability, e.g. management consulting, banking, etc. I find both courses very interesting, and can't decide which one to go for.

1) Anyone with experience of either programme, any general pros or cons?

2) Also, why does the MSc IPE cost £8000 more than the on in Economic History? Does the price reflect job market value or simply the demand for the course?

I'm currently working towards my master's in contemporary history (MSSc). I've also studied quite a bit of economics. However, the entry requirements for the Econ. Hist. programme state that applicants should have a previous degree in a social science and I'm not entirely sure whether my degree qualifies for that; I don't have any uni courses in social science methodology or statistics.

3) Do you think I could still apply for the Econ. Hist. degree and stand a chance?
4) I have lots of relevant work experience, but it's not from consulting or finance. Do you think it would hurt my application to say I want to steer away from my current career path?

So many questions, I'd be really grateful for your thoughts! :smile:
First off, why are you collecting degrees? If you are already working on a masters degree why do you want another one? I suggest checking where you want to end up and what the requirements are before spending on a second masters. Only do it if required.
I wouldn't use price of course as an indicator of anything other than just that: price.
Visit if you can and see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students. Also ask about grad destinations.
Entry requirements are key and if you're unsure email the uni and ask how they'd view your profile. To me it sounds as though you will be fine.
Finally, you will have to explain why you want to do another masters in a similar field in your application and how it helps with your career plans so saying it's for a change in career path is a good thing.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
First off, why are you collecting degrees? If you are already working on a masters degree why do you want another one? I suggest checking where you want to end up and what the requirements are before spending on a second masters. Only do it if required.
I wouldn't use price of course as an indicator of anything other than just that: price.
Visit if you can and see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students. Also ask about grad destinations.
Entry requirements are key and if you're unsure email the uni and ask how they'd view your profile. To me it sounds as though you will be fine.
Finally, you will have to explain why you want to do another masters in a similar field in your application and how it helps with your career plans so saying it's for a change in career path is a good thing.

Thanks for your response. You raise a good point. I guess my answer's as much for myself as it's for you.

I'm an international student and currently studying in my home country (one of the Nordics). I'm applying to do another master's degree because 1) I want to steer my employment prospects towards the private sector my current degree is very much considered as one for public service, 2) I want to get an international outlook for my studies, 3) I'm genuinely interested in both of those subjects, and my current degree doesn't really allow me to explore them in depth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending