Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

How good are my chances to getting into a decent uni for computer science?

ReputationRep:
    So I want to do computer science when I'm older. I did A-levels previously and I did pretty badly in my AS results as a result of family issues and stress overload (DDEU) and I then decided that A-levels weren't for me.

After that I decided to do a BTEC extended diploma in IT. I worked really hard in my first year as I want to be successful when I'm older, and I got D* D*.
    I'm now doing UCAS and my predicted grade is D*D*D*. What are my chances of getting into a decent uni after my past with AS levels?

I have pretty decent GCSE grades if it matters at all (5A,4B)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spratty)
    So I want to do computer science when I'm older. I did A-levels previously and I did pretty badly in my AS results as a result of family issues and stress overload (DDEU) and I then decided that A-levels weren't for me.

After that I decided to do a BTEC extended diploma in IT. I worked really hard in my first year as I want to be successful when I'm older, and I got D* D*.
    I'm now doing UCAS and my predicted grade is D*D*D*. What are my chances of getting into a decent uni after my past with AS levels?

I have pretty decent GCSE grades if it matters at all (5A,4B)
    I don't think you will be able to go to a Russel group uni because you usually need an A level in maths. However you could get into something like Portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kira Yagami)
    I don't think you will be able to go to a Russel group uni because you usually need an A level in maths. However you could get into something like Portsmouth.
    These universities are all Russell group that I can get into with my projected grade of D*D*D*

Queen Mary London do accept D*DD

ReputationRep:
    Actually I can get into a Russell group university. Queen Mary London do accept D*DD
    Oh really, I guess the top ones require A in A level maths (because maths is really important for computer science). Good luck.

What are you planning on doing after uni? And can you program right now?

ReputationRep:
    Oh really, I guess the top ones require A in A level maths (because maths is really important for computer science). Good luck.

Well I just started my 2nd year of my BTEC course, and its all going well. I'm teaching myself how to learn java and I'm going to start learning mathematics related to computer science such as discrete maths

I have a whole year to brush up my maths skills.

ReputationRep:

I just checked and these are all of the russell group unis that would accept me if I got D*D*D*

Queen Mary London (D*DD)
    Bristol require (D*D*D*)
    Newcastle require (D*DD)
    Nottingham require (D*D*D*)
    University of Southampton require (DDD)

Most universities that are in the top 30 and aren't russell group would also accept me. For example, aston is ranked number 9 in the 2017 guardian comp sci rankings and they require DDD,

And I want to be a programmer when I'm older. I want to feel like a god when creating software

ReputationRep:
    I just checked and these are all of the russell group unis that would accept me if I got D*D*D*

Queen Mary London (D*DD)
    Bristol require (D*D*D*)
    Newcastle require (D*DD)
    Nottingham require (D*D*D*)
    University of Southampton require (DDD)

Most universities that are in the top 30 and aren't russell group would also accept me. For example, aston is ranked number 9 in the 2017 guardian comp sci rankings and they require DDD,

And I want to be a programmer when I'm older. I want to feel like a god when creating software
    Hey listen - you are already a demi god - you can programme....... Don't look at Guardian pages - look at Complete University Guide

ReputationRep:
    I think you have more than enough to get in, tbh that is a good decision for yourself. I did the same and I'm applying too, I think we can help each other out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    I think you have more than enough to get in, tbh that is a good decision for yourself. I did the same and I'm applying too, I think we can help each other out.
    Nice! What Universities are you thinking of applying to? What grades did you get first year of your btec if you did it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the required grades for what course I am pursuing, however, a lot of universities have got back to me and said that they would consider me based on my work experience and portfolio. Enquire with the university and ask them about whether they would consider you, explain your circumstances, and highlight any relevant work experience or portfolio work. They might get back to you and say they will consider you, or suggest alternate routes to accessing university. It's definitely something worth checking out! Email lots of different universities, rather than just the ones you are interested in. It will provide you with more back up options, as well as it can provide you with different options or suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaCx)
    I don't have the required grades for what course I am pursuing, however, a lot of universities have got back to me and said that they would consider me based on my work experience and portfolio. Enquire with the university and ask them about whether they would consider you, explain your circumstances, and highlight any relevant work experience or portfolio work. They might get back to you and say they will consider you, or suggest alternate routes to accessing university. It's definitely something worth checking out! Email lots of different universities, rather than just the ones you are interested in. It will provide you with more back up options, as well as it can provide you with different options or suggestions.
    Thanks for the help! I have 2 weeks work experience at the leading software development company for the estate agent market. You wouldn't have heard of it, but it's turnover is 11 million a year. And for most comp sci courses I am applying to, I exceed the grades they ask for...

ReputationRep:
    Nice! What Universities are you thinking of applying to? What grades did you get first year of your btec if you did it?
    I didnt get graded for the first year as I'm doing the national diploma with a level history - im predicted DD and a B though. Also thinking of applying to Kent, Essex, Brunel, Brighton and Portsmouth. wbu?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt get graded for the first year as I'm doing the national diploma with a level history - im predicted DD and a B though. Also thinking of applying to Kent, Essex, Brunel, Brighton and Portsmouth. wbu?
    Haven't fully made my mind up but ill most likely apply for aston, queen mary, coventry and idk about the rest. I have till mid november to make my mind up. Whats ur deadline?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't fully made my mind up but ill most likely apply for aston, queen mary, coventry and idk about the rest. I have till mid november to make my mind up. Whats ur deadline?
    End of November the latest but ill try to get it sent before half term break. have you been to any open days yet?

ReputationRep:
    End of November the latest but ill try to get it sent before half term break. have you been to any open days yet?
    Nope hahaha. I really need to go to these open days

Poll
How are you feeling about your exams so far?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.