Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

C3 graph with a constant Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Name:  1475492254508952323006.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  282.1 KB can anyone help with part c please? I am not sure if a is positive or negative so do I just assume a is 0? Thanks Attachment 584256584258
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    expand it first

you should be able to solve for the intersection and roots once you do so
    • Study Helper

(Original post by coconut64)
    can anyone help with part c please? I am not sure if a is positive or negative so do I just assume a is 0? Thanks
    You can't assume it's zero.

In this case "a" cannot be negative, otherwise you'll be raising a negative number to a real power - what's (-1)^{0.4} - which can't be sketched in a standard graph as it involves complex numbers.

Note that if a >1, the exponential will be increasing.
    If a < 1 then it's decreasing.
    And if a=1 ?

Can you take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonmouse221)
    expand it first

you should be able to solve for the intersection and roots once you do so
    wHAT DO i EXPAND?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    You can't assume it's zero.

In this case "a" cannot be negative, otherwise you'll be raising a negative number to a real power - what's (-1)^{0.4} - which can't be sketched in a standard graph as it involves complex numbers.

Note that if a >1, the exponential will be increasing.
    If a < 1 then it's decreasing.
    And if a=1 ?

Can you take it from there.
    if a is 1 then I will get 1/x +1 and 1+1 for a^x+a...
    • Study Helper

if a is 1 then I will get 1/x +1 and 1+1 for a^x+a...
    Confusing. How can you get two different expressions when you set a=1, into part c?

However, if a=1, then part c reduces to 1+1, and so, f(x)=2, i.e. constant.

ReputationRep:
    Confusing. How can you get two different expressions when you set a=1, into part c?

However, if a=1, then part c reduces to 1+1, and so, f(x)=2, i.e. constant.
    I am slightly lost too. There are 3 parts in part c and each part requires you to draw a graph. I don't get what you mean by f(x)=2 , so it is just a straight line?? Thanks
    • Study Helper

I am slightly lost too. There are 3 parts in part c and each part requires you to draw a graph. I don't get what you mean by f(x)=2 , so it is just a straight line?? Thanks
    Sorry, I thought you were just looking at the last part of part C, which is also called (c).

This is a slightly unfair question, IMO, as the shape of the graph depends on the value of "a", If a >1, then its increasing, if a < 1 it's decreasing, and if a=1, it's a constant - i.e. just a straight line at y=2.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I thought you were just looking at the last part of part C, which is also called (c).

This is a slightly unfair question, IMO, as the shape of the graph depends on the value of "a", If a >1, then its increasing, if a < 1 it's decreasing, and if a=1, it's a constant - i.e. just a straight line at y=2.
    Sorry about the confusion! So what do I set a as ? It says a is just an arbitrary constant....
    • Study Helper

Sorry about the confusion! So what do I set a as ? It says a is just an arbitrary constant....
    It's arbitrary so, you can't set it as anything. I'd suggest drawing three graphs, one for each of the different scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    It's arbitrary so, you can't set it as anything. I'd suggest drawing three graphs, one for each of the different scenarios.
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.