The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Vegan girl :wavey:

Prior to that I ate meat and dairy for 28 years. Never thought in a million years I'd go vegan....

I love it, I feel healthier, have even more energy and more mindful of my body. I eat plant-based for my body, moral and ethical reasons.

Eating purely plant-based is becoming so much more accessible, lots of restaurants now off vegan options - zizzis, pizza express, las iguanas....

No one really bats an eyelid anymore which is cool.

My husband still has some dairy and meat but not so much at home.... he eats vegan with me the majority of the time but picks and choose other options when he fancies it. He feels better for eating more veggie/ vegan food. When he has meat, it's organic and sourced from a farm shop.

I think people should eat what makes them feel healthy and energised - as natural as possible in terms of cooking from scratch. I dislike all the food judgement that goes on. Food is a really personal choice and it's not for anyone else to make comments or think they're better than anyone else because of what they eat.
(edited 7 years ago)
You definitely feel "cleaner" and healthier once you start a vegan diet for a few months. Tried that, felt better too!

petmate pet feeder
Reply 142
I am 57 now and graduated to vegetarian food to lose weight. I finally gave up meat altogether. Imagining back to when I was a young student to be vegetarian would be difficult. It is partly life style, takeaway city is full of places for carnivores. It is partly money, being vegetarian is best if you can afford to eat higher quality food - which I can now at my age. On ethics, well I believe I should eat what I need and not waste food. I also believe that other carnivorous animals, like cats (who cannot recognise that a vegetable is edible), are part of an ecological system like humans. Humans, unlike cats, could choose to be vegetarian and survive, so eating animals can be challenged ethically maybe. But on balance I can't show an ethical red card to human carnivores. Especially, for example, say humans that are relatively poor, live by the sea, and survive on fish.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes. My aim by the end of the year is to at the very least get to a point where I'm eating meat rarely.

And if my self control is weak, at least stop eating red meat and switch to fish.
Same.:smile:
I'm a nascent vegetarian.. I consciously decided to eat less meat and prepare it for my family because of cost and health reasons.

I don't think eating meat in and of itself is the problem, it's industrial meat and the hormones and fillers that are in it.

But I would miss pulled pork too much.
Reply 146
Not sure what to do about diet these days. Ever since I moved countries, the accessibility of vegetarian food dropped considerably, creating costs to social freedom, wallet and convenience. On the other hand, I didn't think my vegetarianism was so weak as to falter from mere difficulty, so I expect sooner or later I'll get back on the wagon again.
Actually, I went to a McDonald's last friday, and was fine with it.
I am vegan but simply because I really don't like meat/ most dairy products not for ethical or health reasons. Everyone is entitled to eat what they want but one thing I can't stand is when people claim that they need to eat meat for health reasons or that a diet with no animal products doesn't supply adequate nutrition. In developed countries there is such a range of food available that you can easily fulfill your nutritional requirements without meat and dairy. By all means enjoy your steak and cheese but I just hate people falsely perpetuating the idea that you must be malnourished if you don't eat meat and dairy
Original post by maroumarou
I am vegan but simply because I really don't like meat/ most dairy products not for ethical or health reasons. Everyone is entitled to eat what they want but one thing I can't stand is when people claim that they need to eat meat for health reasons or that a diet with no animal products doesn't supply adequate nutrition. In developed countries there is such a range of food available that you can easily fulfill your nutritional requirements without meat and dairy. By all means enjoy your steak and cheese but I just hate people falsely perpetuating the idea that you must be malnourished if you don't eat meat and dairy

I'm Veggie, coz I love dairy products.
I would fight over cheese, ice-cream and all the other dairy products if I had to!
(I am also the greediest person in my family)
I have been and would never do it again :ninja:
Red meat I can give up any time, chicken and fish/seafood, never!
Been vegetarian for like a week or 2 and then got tired of it. I'm thinking maybe I should just go vegan :teehee: Slowly, trying out different recipes before fully committing into veganism :colonhash:
Original post by elekro
Red meat I can give up any time, chicken and fish/seafood, never!

This, I could give up red meat with relative ease I think. It's expensive for what it is anyway.

Fish and poultry, no.
Original post by Spratty
"Nothing will benefit health and increase the chances of survival of life on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet" -Einstein
I've been vegetarian all of my life through religious reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to impose or force you to be vegetarian, I just want your opinions.

No I wouldn't. I don't eat a lot of meat anyway, just because I don't like having a lot. But I'd never become a vegetarian, I still eat some meat.

Spoiler

I became vegetarian and then vegan because I really could find no justification to continue eating animals. It's honestly the single easiest and most effective decision I have ever made when it comes to how much it's had a positive impact on my life.

Opiate Withdrawal
I'm already vegan, it can sometimes being difficult being in a family full of meat eaters & from a small time with not as much choice but then I realise what a difference I'm making to the animals & the environment & even my own health so that usually keeps me from getting tempted :smile:
Reply 157
vegetarian for 7 years, still vegetarian
Original post by Elen11
vegetarian for 7 years, still vegetarian

Have you tried the quorn stuff?
I'm vegetarian, and can't stand the quorn eggs.
They're horrible!
Reply 159
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
Have you tried the quorn stuff?
I'm vegetarian, and can't stand the quorn eggs.
They're horrible!

I eat quorn pretty regularly along with lentils and beans and stuff too :smile:
The only quorn thing I haven't liked was the quorn veggie bacon raw... Probably because you're meant to cook it though xD

Quick Reply

Latest