Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Initially, I was very impressed by Kingston University. The accommodation looks great and affordable, it looks a lovely area (albeit I'm not from England). I felt the course and student opportunities sounded great.
    However, upon further research I ended up discovering a number of concerning topics;
    Students having their grade inflated,
    Shoddy marking,
    Student and teacher harassment,
    Hate preachers at the university,
    to name just a few...
    What are your experiences or thoughts on Kingston University. I am applying for Journalism, and a lot of these scandals surround the Music Department, but is it widespread? Did any of you experience any of this? Would you recommend still going?

ReputationRep:
    I think if you look hard enough you'll find claims of this sort of thing at every university. I'd concentrate instead of deciding whether the course meets your expectations and fits with your aspirations. Have you been to an open day? If not, you should - you can then make an informed decision on whether you would be happy at Kingston.

As for the scare stories, I'd really give them much less weight in your considerations.

ReputationRep:
    Judge it by a department to department basis. Every university has good and bad departments, it generally comes down to the people in the department. When you gather several *******s in one building, it ruins a department.

A good example is the economics department at the University of Surrey, I was a PhD student there before I got kicked out due to italian mafia style corruption. I'm now a PhD student elsewhere ( I won't name the uni though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think if you look hard enough you'll find claims of this sort of thing at every university. I'd concentrate instead of deciding whether the course meets your expectations and fits with your aspirations. Have you been to an open day? If not, you should - you can then make an informed decision on whether you would be happy at Kingston.

As for the scare stories, I'd really give them much less weight in your considerations.
    (Original post by rambapa)
    Judge it by a department to department basis. Every university has good and bad departments, it generally comes down to the people in the department. When you gather several *******s in one building, it ruins a department.

A good example is the economics department at the University of Surrey, I was a PhD student there before I got kicked out due to italian mafia style corruption. I'm now a PhD student elsewhere ( I won't name the uni though).
    Thank you both for the feedback, that is greatly appreciated. Whilst it's true that there are scandals about a large majority of universities, it was concerning to see reports of inflating grades. My main concern being that it could lead to being in debt, for a qualification that would be frowned upon due to those such circumstances. I mean I did find someone had dedicated a whole website to the scandals, so I suppose you must admire their passion for eh exposing such things. I haven't heard any such negativity about the Journalism department to be fair, so I suppose I'll just make the assumption that it's located to the Music department (and a lot of these so called scandals were years ago, it could be entirely different staff from the previous problematic individuals). Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

I can't really give you any kind of answer in regards to many of the points you've made. However I can talk about accommodation, the relationship between student and tutor, the area and the marking/grading system.

I would also like to point out that before I came to study at Kingston, there was a very big hyper regarding the course that I am studying and the university as a whole. Unfortunately I didn't see it for what it really was back then, despite doing all my research. I know my experience it quite similar to a lot of others since moving here.

Firstly I want to start off by mentioning that the IQ wave accommodation will always be the nicest, however the most expensive. In terms of cheap accommodation, Middle Mill is the best if you don't mind sharing a bathroom. At Middle Mill, the kitchen is quite large and also accommodates for all yours needs, the rooms are also spacious. However, Clayhill and Seething Wells, despite having an En-suit are probably the worst for accommodation. There are always going to be parties, but Clayhill is the absolute worst for them and also there are a lot of drug abusers. Especially for hardcore drugs like cocaine. Clayhill also has the smallest kitchen and the rooms aren't all that big, the rooms do accommodate for all your things, but the kitchen...Arguably does not. There's only one small fridge and one small freezer and if you chose to live in room 1 or 2, you have the least amount of cupboard space. There is also a weekly cleaning rota, you'll be charged if you don't do your job, I'm a very clean person, but your flatmates can get you charged from my experience. If you want more details ask, the last thing i'll say is that the system here is very corrupt and it applies to all the halls, except the IQ wave. Try and private rent.

Aside from accommodation, the course I am studying isn't quite what I was expecting. As a creative student, I expected to be reintroduced to fundamentals... However I found tutors like to enforce their principles onto you. As dramatic as it sounds they want you to work and think like they do. I understand this is needed in some cases, especially to prepare you for work. You can see this in a good or bad light. It really depends on who you are, but if you're a developed individual, who is quite a bit older than your peers... You are not going to like the way they do things at Kingston University. However, academic students have a lot more freedom and time on their hands (to party). Your peer environment will be very different to someone who is in 5 days a week.

The relationship you will have with your lecturer(s) will also be quite primitive (coming from a person who likes to communicate). At the end of the day, you are paying to ask questions and develop. I've asked questions and despite my efforts, I get no answers and support.

The upside to Kingston is that it is a lovely place, however it is a part on London and Londoner's can be extremely rude. The buses are always late and Kingston is very awkward to get to, especially if you're planning on travelling to Central London.

As for grading, from my experience they don't look through my work properly, everyone is giving a 2:2 in the first year. Tutors and lazy but overwork themselves somehow.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will try my best to give you an answer

Best wishes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.