Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im looking forward to getting my welcome pack for trevelyan college but it says it comes when the a-level results are released. as im from scotland, i havnt a clue when this is-can someone fill me in.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey, A level results are out on the 19th August.... but im not thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippa)
    hey, A level results are out on the 19th August.... but im not thinking about it
    lol, amen pip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippa)
    They may very well send out packs in the week before for unconditional offers, non A-Level offers etc, as they will know peoples A levels on August 12th.

From what I understand the unis all look to have most people make their grades either on firm or insurance then they fill the remaining places with near-misses. This works well for somewhere like durham, as say if college A has space and B does not, then a near-miss from B will be told they can either go to A or be rejected.

Last year they got it very, very wrong, so this year they have tightened up considerably. They are waiting till August as there are many students who end up at Durham on insurance failing to make their Oxbridge offer. As Durham guarentees accomodation for all, this is a logistical nightmare.

I had the HEFCE funding explained to me once, and it is shocking how much pressure the government places on getting the exact number of students on to a course as they want.

For each student up to the quota the uni recieves £1,175 from the student and approx £5000 from HEFCE

For each student over quota they recieve only the £1,175

For each student they are under-quota they are fined by HEFCE. I think the amount is £1,175, but it might be higher.

Factor in they guarentee accomodation for all, and have made binding contracts to that effect, and you can understand why admissions staff get stressed around this point. Last year they had some departments under-quota but not enough accomodation to allow them to advertise in clearing. I think Grey College was 30% oversubscribed for bedspaces (approx 100 beds) and Cuths bought an old nursing home up by the Hospital. The university ended up running all their newly acquired "head-lease" properties at a hideous loss.

ReputationRep:
    God, that sounds horrific. Let's hope they don't make the same mistakes this year!

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.