PhD loans 2018

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know if doing an MPhil (provisional PhD place) in the 2017-18 session with the intention to upgrade to a PhD in 2018, preclude an application for the new government funded PhD loans (for English students) upon a successful upgrade?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eliza92)
    Hi,

Does anyone know if doing an MPhil (provisional PhD place) in the 2017-18 session with the intention to upgrade to a PhD in 2018, preclude an application for the new government funded PhD loans (for English students) upon a successful upgrade?

Thanks!
    You would need to speak to the specific university. Usually, the first year of a PhD, while nominally called something different, still counts as PhD study. So for my PhD, the first year I was registered as 'not at first registered for any degree' - as a formal designation! However, everything else accepted I was on a PhD course/programme/period of study etc.

I suspect your MPhil (provisional PhD place) would be a registration whereby if you successfully upgraded, you wouldn't be awarded the MPhil and would progress to 2 further years of PhD study (as you can't usually get two degrees awarded for the same piece of work, which your first year would be). I also suspect that if you failed your upgrade, you wouldn't automatically get the MPhil, you'd have to meet the MPhil standard. So if the MPhil designation is just the University's vehicle for expressing a first year PhD, then it will probably qualify for the new PG loans (caveat that I haven't looked in any detail)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your reply, threeportdrift! Yes, the set up is that the MPhil designation acts as a vehicle for expressing a first year PhD student in my college, but 'officially' the status of a PhD student is not given until after the upgrade. I think you are also right re the awarding of the MPhil outright if the upgrade is not granted. I am not eligible for the Masters loan for the MPhil as I already have a taught Masters, but the PhD loans don't seem to have any solid criteria available about them.. and this awkward first year seems not to be mentioned at all in the info that has been released on the PhD loans.. or at least the stuff I have found!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eliza92)
    Thanks so much for your reply, threeportdrift! Yes, the set up is that the MPhil designation acts as a vehicle for expressing a first year PhD student in my college, but 'officially' the status of a PhD student is not given until after the upgrade. I think you are also right re the awarding of the MPhil outright if the upgrade is not granted. I am not eligible for the Masters loan for the MPhil as I already have a taught Masters, but the PhD loans don't seem to have any solid criteria available about them.. and this awkward first year seems not to be mentioned at all in the info that has been released on the PhD loans.. or at least the stuff I have found!
    Well at my uni, despite the name, the PhD was seen as a 3 year course, starting in year 1. Have you tried applying on that basis? I think the 'awkward' first year isn't mentioned because it isn't an issue, because the majority of Universities don't have these arcane and daft terms for the pre-confirmation year, you are just called a PhD student for all 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that the student can't apply for the loan until 2018 an they do not start until the 2018-19 session. So, if one had a place on a PhD to start 2017 but was only able to fund one year and wanted to apply for a loan for the second and third year if later funding was not secured, there is no indication in the info so far released as to whether this is a possibility or not.. 'Officially' not being a PhD student until the second year, logic would suggest that this is not a problematic plan but Student Finance England are anything but logical!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.