Are Football managers being sacked too quickly these days?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

Another day and two more managers gone, Swansea have sacked their manager and Villa have got rid of Di Matteo. Are managers been given enough time? or is there justification for them to be sacked when they are?

ReputationRep:
    Yes they get sacked too quickly.

The justification is that owners/chairmen are morons who don't back themselves in having made the right decision in the first place.

If you just want a manager to try and motivate the squad and dictate short term tactics for each game, the hire and fire model isn't terrible.

If you want any sort of plan and long term vision that you want a manager to implement then it's never going to work.

It's interesting since Swansea for the past decade+ have been known as a well run club with a plan and often managers being replaced was done seamlessly. Some appointments just don't work out so it could be the right decision for them.

Villa have been mismanaged for quite some time and I doubt the owners have a clue.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's poor policy when hiring that leads to the sacking culture. Managers are often hired on little basis and under pressure to perform right away. You get the spending or calling for investment, then the new manager bounce, but ultimately it all fades and the board feel the pressure with consequences looming and realise they don't have any basis for believing this can be turned around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if you spend the money you must deliver.... Mourinho must deliver.

ReputationRep:
    How can any manager get through their philosophy of how to play in such a short period. Klopp is only now starting to get the best out of Liverpool, and Van Gaal was way into his second season before they played the way he wanted. Of course every manager is different, but there is a lot of owners from countries where football isn't big and expect instant success which just doesn't happen every time.
    I think the Swansea manager made a few crucial mistakes eg selling Williams, Villa are in the middle of rebuilding and I think they've made a huge mistake unless they get someone like Bruce who is experienced at getting back to PL.

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt. Swansea have played 3 of last seasons top 6, including the reigning champions, plus Chelsea and Liverpool. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that they were never going to get a good points return from that. I get the impression that their new owners never wanted Guidolin and were looking for an excuse to sack him and get "their man".

Villa have been run appallingly for years and RDM was a questionable appointment to begin with. After spending more than Real Madrid, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more than 1 win in 11 games. Especially when you've got managers like Bruce available who have a proven track record of getting teams promoted.

The amount of money at stake in the Premier League often means that you're better off gambling and taking the risk, whether it's to get a new man in to keep you up or to take you up from the Championship. No manager is going to get 2-3 years to build a team and a playing style anymore, you'll just fall too far behind and depending on the club will risk getting relegated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOG1)
    How can any manager get through their philosophy of how to play in such a short period. Klopp is only now starting to get the best out of Liverpool, and Van Gaal was way into his second season before they played the way he wanted. Of course every manager is different, but there is a lot of owners from countries where football isn't big and expect instant success which just doesn't happen every time.
    I think the Swansea manager made a few crucial mistakes eg selling Williams, Villa are in the middle of rebuilding and I think they've made a huge mistake unless they get someone like Bruce who is experienced at getting back to PL.
    Van Gaal did better in his first season than in his second in terms of points and placement. Even the number of goals scored was more. Klopp seems a lot like Rodgers V2 and managed to get Liverpool to two finals in his first season. I think it's reasonable to expect manages to make a difference immediately, obviously they should get some time, but results can come instantly.

Guidolin didn't want to sell Williams and he wanted to go. With a club like Swansea; they sell all of their top performers, don't replace them and blame the manager. If a manager has the resources to succeed and is failing to do so, they should get some of the blame.

If Villa can't get anyone better, then Bruce would be the pick. I do think that Allardyce or McCarthy would be better options.

ReputationRep:
    At international level not quickly enough.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Football articles
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.