Starting an Internship; history of mental health issues

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've managed to get myself a part time intern role for 3 days a week, covering a month at a small publishing office, and I'm so nervous. I'm panicking that everyone will be totally clued-up, professional and smart, and that I'll be the annoying intern that gets in the way.I know it's unpaid, and that should be enough for me to feel valued, because I'm giving my time away for free, but I suffer from anxiety and tend to catastrophise whenever something big comes my way so I guess I'm looking for some kind words and reassurance from someone on here who's either been through the same or just happens to have an opinion/some advice. I recently graduated from uni with a first in English. I'm quite shy but have been building up my confidence and competence in social situations for years, and I am also looking for a paid part time job to go alongside this so I feel like this is scary stuff at the moment. I'm not on medication; I am having weekly counselling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drangonfly203)
    So I've managed to get myself a part time intern role for 3 days a week, covering a month at a small publishing office, and I'm so nervous. I'm panicking that everyone will be totally clued-up, professional and smart, and that I'll be the annoying intern that gets in the way.I know it's unpaid, and that should be enough for me to feel valued, because I'm giving my time away for free, but I suffer from anxiety and tend to catastrophise whenever something big comes my way so I guess I'm looking for some kind words and reassurance from someone on here who's either been through the same or just happens to have an opinion/some advice. I recently graduated from uni with a first in English. I'm quite shy but have been building up my confidence and competence in social situations for years, and I am also looking for a paid part time job to go alongside this so I feel like this is scary stuff at the moment. I'm not on medication; I am having weekly counselling
    Well done on getting the internship- do consider that the publishing office hired you because they judge you to be capable enough. Also remember that it takes everyone time to get things up to speed, no-one can expect to come in and hit the ground running from day 1. I'm just over a month into an internship and whenever I make mistake (thankfully not too often now!) I remind myself of when I've read about people who are successful now saying how their first job didn't go very well.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.