Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Clare or Queens' for Maths

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a little late but I'm having a hard time choosing between Clare and Queens' college for Maths. Any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm looking for -

Good accommodation.
    Proximity to lectures - preferably for all years.
    Plentiful Internet allowance.
    Pleasant library to work in.
    Good quality of food in the canteen.

If either of these two have a particularly strong/weak reputation for Maths I'd be interested to hear of it but it's certainly not the prevailing factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myopia)
    I know this is a little late but I'm having a hard time choosing between Clare and Queens' college for Maths. Any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm looking for -

Good accommodation.
    Proximity to lectures - preferably for all years.
    Plentiful Internet allowance.
    Pleasant library to work in.
    Good quality of food in the canteen.

If either of these two have a particularly strong/weak reputation for Maths I'd be interested to hear of it but it's certainly not the prevailing factor.
    Except for Trinity, there's no difference in reputation between colleges.

The only difference i know between two in regard to your preferences is that Clare usually guarantees colleges accommodation for the length of your course while Queens only guarantee for 3 years. (though many actually do get for 4 yrs. But no guarantee because whether they can do it or not will depend on how many stay on for 4 years. )
    The reason Clare can provide college accommodation for the duration of course is because they have off-the-main-site accommodation out of town centre. So naturally, they're slightly far away from the lectures in first few years, but some of those accommodation will be actually slightly nearer and easier to get to CMS (Centre for Mathematical Sciences) in west Cambridge where you'll be spending your later years.
    But Cambridge is a really small city, differences in distance between various colleges/university facilities are really negligible, especially if you cycle.

Not much difference in quality/standard of food (daily meals) across most colleges, either. And all college's catering departments are constantly trying to improve it by asking the students for feedback, so I think that's something you don't have to be too concerned.

As the university's website says, there's more similarities than differences between colleges, and almost everyone is very happy and patriotic about their colleges, even if they were pooled there from a college they first applied to.
    So don't spend too much time on deciding which college to apply to.
    But if you want to split a hair , go through each college's website for all the details on accommodation, food price, other charges and CUSU's & JCR's alternative prospectus. (available online)

https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Except for Trinity, there's no difference in reputation between colleges.

The only difference i know between two in regard to your preferences is that Clare usually guarantees colleges accommodation for the length of your course while Queens only guarantee for 3 years. (though many actually do get for 4 yrs. But no guarantee because whether they can do it or not will depend on how many stay on for 4 years. )
    The reason Clare can provide college accommodation for the duration of course is because they have off-the-main-site accommodation out of town centre. So naturally, they're slightly far away from the lectures in first few years, but some of those accommodation will be actually slightly nearer and easier to get to CMS (Centre for Mathematical Sciences) in west Cambridge.
    But Cambridge is a really small city, differences in distance between various colleges/university facilities are really negligible, especially if you cycle.

Not much difference in quality/standard of food (daily meals) across most colleges, either. And all college's catering departments are constantly trying to improve it by asking the students for feedback, so I think that's something you don't have to be too concerned.

As the university's website says, there's more similarities than differences between colleges, and almost everyone is very happy and patriotic about their colleges, even if they were pooled there from a college they first applied to.
    So don't spend too much time on deciding which college to apply to.
    But if you want to split a hair , go through each college's website for all the details on accommodation, food price, other charges and CUSU's & JCR's alternative prospectus. (available online)

https://www.applytocambridge.com/colleges
    Thanks for the in-depth reply. The only thing I note is that Queens' puts on extra example classes for mathematicians - do you know if these are regarded as being particularly beneficial? Aside from that seems your opinion is that it might as well be a coin toss between the two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Myopia)
    Thanks for the in-depth reply. The only thing I note is that Queens' puts on extra example classes for mathematicians - do you know if these are regarded as being particularly beneficial? Aside from that seems your opinion is that it might as well be a coin toss between the two?
    You mean a sort of introductory sessions they have for new maths freshers before they start at Cambridge? If that's what you're talking about, Queens' is not the only one. Students come from all sorts of schooling background, so some colleges have those sessions to make sure they're all on a more or less same start line when proper lectures start in the new academic year.
    If something else, I have no knowledge of it, sorry.

Yeah, tossing a coin or dice is usually a very nice method of choosing a college.
    I've known many cambridge students for years, but I've never yet met anyone who doesn't think their college is the best. They're all very loyal tribes.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.