Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Do you need a good UKCAT to go to a good Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Really want to do medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zak7399)
    Why what did you get?
    Also no you can do the BMAT too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhoDaresWins)
    Why what did you get?
    Also no you can do the BMAT too.
    Not very good Messed up on timing so guessed many q's.

ReputationRep:
    Not very good Messed up on timing so guessed many q's.
    If it makes you feel any better, a lot of would-be doctors get less-than ideal scores on the UKCAT. I had mine today and I also messed up on my timing and scored the lowest VR I've ever had (550!) - in mocks and on Medify it was by far my best section. I came out with 640 altogether with my best section being QR (usually my worst!).

The Medic Portal have a post up about where to apply with lower than expected scores:

https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...w-ukcat-score/

They also have a post on where to apply with a score between 6-650. Hope this helps and you could also sit the BMAT to open up more unis.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there. Different universities use the UKCAT in a various ways, meaning that it is wise to apply to your strengths. Should you achieve a good UKCAT, it may be a good idea to apply to medical schools that put emphasis on it during interview selection. If not, there are a other universities where additional criteria are weighted (such as GCSEs, personal statement).

Oh, and you've probably heard this many times, but all medical schools are accredited to a standard, and hence a Medicine degree is a Medicine degree in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl)
    If it makes you feel any better, a lot of would-be doctors get less-than ideal scores on the UKCAT. I had mine today and I also messed up on my timing and scored the lowest VR I've ever had (550!) - in mocks and on Medify it was by far my best section. I came out with 640 altogether with my best section being QR (usually my worst!).

The Medic Portal have a post up about where to apply with lower than expected scores:

https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...w-ukcat-score/

They also have a post on where to apply with a score between 6-650. Hope this helps and you could also sit the BMAT to open up more unis.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amedic)
    Hey there. Different universities use the UKCAT in a various ways, meaning that it is wise to apply to your strengths. Should you achieve a good UKCAT, it may be a good idea to apply to medical schools that put emphasis on it during interview selection. If not, there are a other universities where additional criteria are weighted (such as GCSEs, personal statement).

Oh, and you've probably heard this many times, but all medical schools are accredited to a standard, and hence a Medicine degree is a Medicine degree in the UK
    Thank you And yeah that's true.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.