Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

QUIZ: Do you know the answer to these common misconceptions? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Whether you're a history buff, or can barely remember your high school teaching, come try out our quiz, and see how well you really know your facts

Test your knowledge here, and post your scores in the thread!

Were there any you were surprised by? Or any additional misconceptions you'd like to clear up? Post those here too, and correct us all on the facts :mmm:

Leaderboard:
    :king1: chelseadagg3r 7/7
    :king2: AngryRedhead 6/7
    :king3: BurstingBubbles 5/7

Runners-Up:
    1. *Interrobang* 4/7
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Whether you're a history buff, or can barely remember your high school teaching, come try out our quiz, and see how well you really know your facts

Were there any you were surprised by? Or any additional misconceptions you'd like to clear up? Post those here too, and correct us all on the facts :mmm:
    The true/false questions are easy, if you know what the misconception is FYI. I didn't get the other ones right, but I got those ones correct
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    The true/false questions are easy, if you know what the misconception is FYI. I didn't get the other ones right, but I got those ones correct
    Yeah, it's more to point out the common things people get wrong
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's more to point out the common things people get wrong
    Fair enough
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    5/7, I'm pleased with that
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    7/7 Interesting quiz!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The American President one is a bit of a stretch and depends how you phrase the question, but Peyton Randolph can't be accurately described as the "first President of the United States" by any stretch, as the United States did not exist during his term in office, as the Declaration of Independence had not been made yet. If you want to take the line that the Presidents of the Continental Congress were Presidents of the US, then John Hancock was the first President of the US, as it was during his term that the US actually came into existence. Though by this logic, you could claim about half the world's 'real' first president was not the first one officially recognised.

Yes, I know I'm being pedantic, but just a bit of fun anyway
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    7/7 Interesting quiz!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nice one! Do you/have you studied History before?

(Original post by anarchism101)
    The American President one is a bit of a stretch and depends how you phrase the question, but Peyton Randolph can't be accurately described as the "first President of the United States" by any stretch, as the United States did not exist during his term in office, as the Declaration of Independence had not been made yet. If you want to take the line that the Presidents of the Continental Congress were Presidents of the US, then John Hancock was the first President of the US, as it was during his term that the US actually came into existence. Though by this logic, you could claim about half the world's 'real' first president was not the first one officially recognised.

Yes, I know I'm being pedantic, but just a bit of fun anyway
    That's really interesting, what sort of date was Randolph around and when was the US formed then?

EDIT: Also, what did you get on the quiz?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Nice one! Do you/have you studied History before?
    Only through GCSE, after that I just kept it as a hobby
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    Only through GCSE, after that I just kept it as a hobby
    Same! what sort of things do you do to keep it as a hobby? I want to find out more about History as I don't feel like I remember much at all from GCSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Same! what sort of things do you do to keep it as a hobby? I want to find out more about History as I don't feel like I remember much at all from GCSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha I know what you mean. It was so long ago now I watch a lot of documentaries, and when something really interests me I do my own research. Usually while researching, a couple more topics get thrown up that I end up having a lot of interest in so I go into those too. I go to local events when they're on as well. I not too long ago went to a 1940s weekend which was really fun! Everyone dresses up, and there's so much information about what things were like in my area during WW2 and afterwards, and we rode around in buses from the time. I took a year out of college, so when I didn't have anything going on for a while I actually looked into an A-level syllabus and learned some of that as well

ReputationRep:

Leaderboard:
    :king1: chelseadagg3r 7/7
    :king2: BurstingBubbles 5/7
    :king3: *Interrobang* 4/7
    6/7 and I didn't even take history as GCSE

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.