Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Should I just give up?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I really wanted to apply for PPE, I know my chances are slim especially since my GCSEs are awful (only 2A's) however I really tried to push myself with the advice that upward trajectory at AS would sort of make up for it, I managed to get AAB and went through the effort of teaching myself AS Economics, however I've now been told I'll only be predicted AAA (in eco, maths & politics), no A*'s, I should've expected it since my school have always put me down for example when I said I wanted to drop business and do economics myself they said they'd kick me out, in the end it proved well. Anyway, without an A* prediction for A2 and awful GCSEs is there any realistic chance of getting an interview even if I ace the TSA?

It's hard to explain but I really wanted this. Everything I did was for this, and to come this far only to be told my teachers won't push me and help me to the next level is quite disappointing. When I asked why I wouldn't be predicted an A* I was told "that would mean you'd have to work really hard and I'd have to give you extra support which I'm afraid I can't offer", so do you think it's still worth a shot applying to oxford or should I just look elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to live the rest of your life thinking "what would have happened if I did apply for Oxbridge?".
    I say go for it, what can you lose...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zayn008)
    Hello! I really wanted to apply for PPE, I know my chances are slim especially since my GCSEs are awful (only 2A's) however I really tried to push myself with the advice that upward trajectory at AS would sort of make up for it, I managed to get AAB and went through the effort of teaching myself AS Economics, however I've now been told I'll only be predicted AAA (in eco, maths & politics), no A*'s, I should've expected it since my school have always put me down for example when I said I wanted to drop business and do economics myself they said they'd kick me out, in the end it proved well. Anyway, without an A* prediction for A2 and awful GCSEs is there any realistic chance of getting an interview even if I ace the TSA?

It's hard to explain but I really wanted this. Everything I did was for this, and to come this far only to be told my teachers won't push me and help me to the next level is quite disappointing. When I asked why I wouldn't be predicted an A* I was told "that would mean you'd have to work really hard and I'd have to give you extra support which I'm afraid I can't offer", so do you think it's still worth a shot applying to oxford or should I just look elsewhere?
    Without being predicted the minimum entry requirements, you'll face automatic rejection.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the title of this thread- no you should not give up, ever. This is your dream and you're going to make it work. Screw those teachers that would provide you with the accepted support. I would do something about that btw - email your mp etc.
    There are two kinds of succesful people:
    The ones who have life literally handed to them on a golden palate and the ones who work their absolute feet off (forget about socks). You're going to get places my friend in the mean time shift your attitude and keep going. Don't be the old guy that tells his grandchildren what he wanted to be - tell them about what you became.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to look at this from Oxford's point of view. They have many thousands of similarly qualified applicants, all with a clutch of A* at GCSE and AS and predictions of A*s at A2, along with the usual extra curricular guff about digging wells in Africa and Grade 8 basoon at age 6. Considered alongside these, is your application likely to succeed to interview, given that Oxford has to reject the majority of similarly-qualified applicant who apply? This isn't meant to be negative, but realistic. Would you be better off applying to universities to which you have a much better chance of being accepted and concentrating on getting the best possible A level grades to secure a place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Without being predicted the minimum entry requirements, you'll face automatic rejection.
    I'm predicted AAA which is the entry requirement, but having a competitive application when most applicants will have at least one A* prediction with perfect GCSEs was my concern

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuba123)
    To answer the title of this thread- no you should not give up, ever. This is your dream and you're going to make it work. Screw those teachers that would provide you with the accepted support. I would do something about that btw - email your mp etc.
    There are two kinds of succesful people:
    The ones who have life literally handed to them on a golden palate and the ones who work their absolute feet off (forget about socks). You're going to get places my friend in the mean time shift your attitude and keep going. Don't be the old guy that tells his grandchildren what he wanted to be - tell them about what you became.
    I really appreciate this it's given me a nice perspective and its a breath of fresh air from the negative remarks I've been surrounded by over the past year. Of course it's a challenge but you're right, I'm sure I can make it work! I'm not even sure why my school economics teacher is writing my reference when he never taught me and his class did terrible, although I'm not sure who else I could ask since I didn't have a tutor, unless I quickly get one… not sure if that would work though

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicted AAA which is the entry requirement, but having a competitive application when most applicants will have at least one A* prediction with perfect GCSEs was my concern
    I see(from your paragraph, it implied the offer was A*AA).

To be brutally honest, as things stand, you don't have much of a chance. The average applicant has 6.5A* and a successful one has 8.3A* with a TSA score around 67 (successful applicants).

To stand a chance, you'd probably have to get a TSA score of 70> which is pretty difficult, considering the fact the grade boundaries are dictated by the performance of the smartest kids applying to Oxbridge(and UCL).

Good luck.

Edit: probably might have a better shot at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    x

x
    Hiiii, my GCSEs are also not amazing (2A*s, 2As, 4Bs and a C in Maths), my AS grades are AAB, and I'm predicted A*AB. Do you think it's worth me applying to Warwick- entry requirement for Politics/International Studies is AAA.

I'm just really pissed my school isn't predicting me an A for that one subject- i was two marks away. Jeez.

I appreciate yours or anyone's advice

ReputationRep:
    I really appreciate this it's given me a nice perspective and its a breath of fresh air from the negative remarks I've been surrounded by over the past year. Of course it's a challenge but you're right, I'm sure I can make it work! I'm not even sure why my school economics teacher is writing my reference when he never taught me and his class did terrible, although I'm not sure who else I could ask since I didn't have a tutor, unless I quickly get one… not sure if that would work though
    Haha, I was worried it was quite cheesy but I sent it anyway. This thread relates to me so badly - last year I basically taught myself chemistry and was the only person that got an A in my class. We didn't have a teacher for a few months, and despite our complaints the school couldn't care less. So I totally get you, this year I've failed my advanced higher chemistry test and I'm really worried that this will affect my predicted grades but I have to travel to a different school to do chemistry as the department at my school is essentially pish. I hate teachers who don't have a passion for teaching, like it was a last resort for them. I'd honestly not advise becoming a teacher unless you want to inspire people otherwise you'll end up killing their confidence - this is aimed at your teachers not you btw. Best of luck and let me know how it goes. Work your socks off, get a tutor and buy loads of books. You can honestly do this if you get rejected for your predicted grades apply again next year - I'm sure you'll get in. The fact that you've manages to get those grades considering your circumstances is incredible. I'm assuming not many people are in the same position as you? Meaning they haven't performed as well which is not their fault but it just shows how determined and motivated you are to make this work. The whole UCAS thing is basically a personality test - you're either going to sink under the negativity or float and make good decisions regarding your future.

Can't believe I just wrote an essay but I'm really passionate about this. Maybe I should be a teacher lol that's my back up if I can't do medicine after several attempts. Just gotta keep going forward and regret nothing.

ReputationRep:
    The prediction isn't an issue, it meets the entry requirements and different schools have different policies about predicting A*s.

Your GCSE grades are very low for Oxford. However an excellent TSA score could get you an interview.

If your application will be ready in time for the deadline and you have 4 other university choices (including 2 good backups/insurance option) then you don't have anything to lose by applying to Oxford. If you don't apply for Oxford and get all 5 offers then you will regret not taking a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    I think you have to look at this from Oxford's point of view. They have many thousands of similarly qualified applicants, all with a clutch of A* at GCSE and AS and predictions of A*s at A2, along with the usual extra curricular guff about digging wells in Africa and Grade 8 basoon at age 6. Considered alongside these, is your application likely to succeed to interview, given that Oxford has to reject the majority of similarly-qualified applicant who apply? This isn't meant to be negative, but realistic. Would you be better off applying to universities to which you have a much better chance of being accepted and concentrating on getting the best possible A level grades to secure a place?
    On a totally unrelated note, it honestly infuriates me when young people go to Africa, Asia, etc. to build their personal statements. The vast majority of the time the orphans and the needy are moved and form bonds with these young people only for them to leave and forget about it all. Absolutley crushes my heart thinking about the kids in the orphanages who've never had an emotionally supportive parental relationship just used like that. These kids are people in need of families not teens trying to get into uni. I know that they mean well but say something happened to you and your family leaving behind a young sibling and they had to go through that. Ufft man brings me to tears anyway I don't know why I'm ranting at you. But your use of the word 'guff' I'm assuming you think similarly to me. In which case I TOTALLY agree.

ReputationRep:
    On a totally unrelated note, it honestly infuriates me when young people go to Africa, Asia, etc. to build their personal statements. The vast majority of the time the orphans and the needy are moved and form bonds with these young people only for them to leave and forget about it all. Absolutley crushes my heart thinking about the kids in the orphanages who've never had an emotionally supportive parental relationship just used like that. These kids are people in need of families not teens trying to get into uni. I know that they mean well but say something happened to you and your family leaving behind a young sibling and they had to go through that. Ufft man brings me to tears anyway I don't know why I'm ranting at you. But your use of the word 'guff' I'm assuming you think similarly to me. In which case I TOTALLY agree.
    This is absolutely spot on - you read my post correctly. Africa and now South America has been overrun with 'Gap yaar' students ticking off some sanctimonious three week jolly dressed up as 'helping the poor' when what they really need is exactly what you say - some stability and people there to help them long-term, not some spoilt brats trying to get into a Russell Group university. The need a good hard slap.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I do understand your situation, I've wanted to do BioSci at Oxford for ages now. I got 1A* 8A's and 2B's at GCSE and ABBB at AS, with the A being in Biology (and a high one too) but my maths is a low B which I have had to declare as I'm resitting one. I have had to beg my biology teacher to increase my predicted to an A* and I needed to ask twice as the first time she refused.

I've applied anyway (waiting for my rejection like) as I don't want to be constantly thinking "what if" when I'm older. You need to beg and beg this week so you can get a predicted moved up to an A* (if your other A was in maths, can you not ask your maths teacher for an A*??) tell your teachers you're desperate to apply and will dedicate all of your time to the subjects, they might give in.

Try for this A*, but if they say no you will most likely get an automatic rejection as you won't reach the minimum standard. My advice is beg and beg and beg until your Econ or Math teacher gives in (it sounds awful but sometimes you just got to do it to get what you want).
    If you want to go to Oxbridge, fight for the grades you deserve!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reality Check)
    This is absolutely spot on - you read my post correctly. Africa and now South America has been overrun with 'Gap yaar' students ticking off some sanctimonious three week jolly dressed up as 'helping the poor' when what they really need is exactly what you say - some stability and people there to help them long-term, not some spoilt brats trying to get into a Russell Group university. The need a good hard slap.
    Yassss. As much as I would love to travel I'd only really visit this places to make a difference not fill them with false hope. At some point I would like to set up hospitals in Africa (this is a real life goal btw hopefully it happens), not turn up hug everyone and say tenks for personal statement material.
    I know this sounds daft but I'm going to do something about this - not a huge fan of J.K. Rowling but I agree when she talks about this.

Sorry to the author of thiis thread, going totally off topic rn. I shall stop now.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I was worried it was quite cheesy but I sent it anyway. This thread relates to me so badly - last year I basically taught myself chemistry and was the only person that got an A in my class. We didn't have a teacher for a few months, and despite our complaints the school couldn't care less. So I totally get you, this year I've failed my advanced higher chemistry test and I'm really worried that this will affect my predicted grades but I have to travel to a different school to do chemistry as the department at my school is essentially pish. I hate teachers who don't have a passion for teaching, like it was a last resort for them. I'd honestly not advise becoming a teacher unless you want to inspire people otherwise you'll end up killing their confidence - this is aimed at your teachers not you btw. Best of luck and let me know how it goes. Work your socks off, get a tutor and buy loads of books. You can honestly do this if you get rejected for your predicted grades apply again next year - I'm sure you'll get in. The fact that you've manages to get those grades considering your circumstances is incredible. I'm assuming not many people are in the same position as you? Meaning they haven't performed as well which is not their fault but it just shows how determined and motivated you are to make this work. The whole UCAS thing is basically a personality test - you're either going to sink under the negativity or float and make good decisions regarding your future.

Can't believe I just wrote an essay but I'm really passionate about this. Maybe I should be a teacher lol that's my back up if I can't do medicine after several attempts. Just gotta keep going forward and regret nothing.
    Wow that's really great considering how hard chemistry is and the circumstances, I hope your school have at least recognised what you're capable of!

It infuriates me to see teachers who just seem to think when they go home their job has no effect on people so they just come in waiting to go home basically, the worst part is when they take full credit for everything and you hear the school constantly praising its teachers but never your own achievements. Also yes, I'm not the only one in this position, most people did under perform although there are a few that did really good but it irritates
    me how the school really favours them, even those kids that are really smart but have underperformed and still get tons of support while I've tried everything to prove myself and i can honestly say have received little to no support.

I really do hope things work out for you, hopefully you get those predicated grades and thank you for all your advice

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's really great considering how hard chemistry is and the circumstances, I hope your school have at least recognised what you're capable of!

It infuriates me to see teachers who just seem to think when they go home their job has no effect on people so they just come in waiting to go home basically, the worst part is when they take full credit for everything and you hear the school constantly praising its teachers but never your own achievements. Also yes, I'm not the only one in this position, most people did under perform although there are a few that did really good but it irritates
    me how the school really favours them, even those kids that are really smart but have underperformed and still get tons of support while I've tried everything to prove myself and i can honestly say have received little to no support.

I really do hope things work out for you, hopefully you get those predicated grades and thank you for all your advice
    Ahh yess that is currently my maths teacher but today was odd because she was in a good mood. Yes, we suffered but today was different there was a slight shift in her approach not quite sure how to react tbh... And TELLL MEEEE ABOUT ITTT. No one thought that I was capable of anything - I was just that small brown kid and then BAMM exam results. All of a sudden everyone gives a ****. As long as you've got that self-confidence you've got this or pester the absolute crap out of those teachers to predict you an A*. Really hope they give you this at the very least. If not there's always adjustment but I don't think that works for Oxbridge ****, I'm being negative.

Yeah, some of us are just by ourselves tbh and it really sucks.

But we've gotten this far! We can end this well! And all we need is ourselves. *Hugs self*

SORRY GETTING WEIRD NOW :/ #MeMyselfAndI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Honestly I do understand your situation, I've wanted to do BioSci at Oxford for ages now. I got 1A* 8A's and 2B's at GCSE and ABBB at AS, with the A being in Biology (and a high one too) but my maths is a low B which I have had to declare as I'm resitting one. I have had to beg my biology teacher to increase my predicted to an A* and I needed to ask twice as the first time she refused.

I've applied anyway (waiting for my rejection like) as I don't want to be constantly thinking "what if" when I'm older. You need to beg and beg this week so you can get a predicted moved up to an A* (if your other A was in maths, can you not ask your maths teacher for an A*??) tell your teachers you're desperate to apply and will dedicate all of your time to the subjects, they might give in.

Try for this A*, but if they say no you will most likely get an automatic rejection as you won't reach the minimum standard. My advice is beg and beg and beg until your Econ or Math teacher gives in (it sounds awful but sometimes you just got to do it to get what you want).
    If you want to go to Oxbridge, fight for the grades you deserve!!
    Ahhh glad you got the predication! Sadly no, I got an A in politics and a B in maths (C1 & C2 were A's but S1 let me down) otherwise my maths teacher would've given me an A* predication.

The only teacher who could predict me an A* is my politics teacher, even though I got an A she said she would predict me a B at the beginning of the year and that set me back quite a lot, I just lost my passion and determination to do well. Having spoke to her the other day she said she'd predict me an A and I have asked her for an A* numerous times and she's said no, today she said she'd consider it but I highly doubt it now since I haven't been doing my best after being told I'd only be predicated a B, I'll do my best this week and hopefully it'll work out.

My economics teacher said because my A was average and he hadn't taught me, he has no evidence to say I'm capable of an A*, thanks for your advice! I think it could work

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh glad you got the predication! Sadly no, I got an A in politics and a B in maths (C1 & C2 were A's but S1 let me down) otherwise my maths teacher would've given me an A* predication.

The only teacher who could predict me an A* is my politics teacher, even though I got an A she said she would predict me a B at the beginning of the year and that set me back quite a lot, I just lost my passion and determination to do well. Having spoke to her the other day she said she'd predict me an A and I have asked her for an A* numerous times and she's said no, today she said she'd consider it but I highly doubt it now since I haven't been doing my best after being told I'd only be predicated a B, I'll do my best this week and hopefully it'll work out.

My economics teacher said because my A was average and he hadn't taught me, he has no evidence to say I'm capable of an A*, thanks for your advice! I think it could work
    Shame, my math teacher asked if I wanted an A* prediction, even though I got a B in maths as she was like "your C2 was just an off day you'll get like 90+UMS on your resit". There is no way in hell I'd manage but she was willing to do it anyway so I stood a better chance (I said no though so I'm not lying to Oxford)

Keep begging your Econ or Politics teacher for one, you've only got like 12 days so keep telling them!!! One is bound to give in eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfcFob)
    Shame, my math teacher asked if I wanted an A* prediction, even though I got a B in maths as she was like "your C2 was just an off day you'll get like 90+UMS on your resit". There is no way in hell I'd manage but she was willing to do it anyway so I stood a better chance (I said no though so I'm not lying to Oxford)

Keep begging your Econ or Politics teacher for one, you've only got like 12 days so keep telling them!!! One is bound to give in eventually
    Yeah I get you, if my maths teacher did predict me an A* I'd only accept it knowing I was capable and I think I am since I was only let down by S1, if I'm predicted an A* in anything I'd do all I could to fulfill, although aiming and working for an A* without an a* predication just doesn't seem worth the effort to me

I've started by Rewriting all my politics essays and questions which I'll resubmit this week, hopefully that'll work my economics teacher is just a matter of persuasion

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.