Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm 18 and nervous about signing on JSA

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I finished college late February as I left and didn't want too continue. I'm struggling too find a job, so on Wednesday I'm signing on.. Also I have too pay my father rent and everyone, including my boyfriend wants me too sign on and I'm so nervous as it's my first time, I have a few questions;
    1. Can they check you've been applying for jobs? I wouldn't lie, but some jobs might not be for me and I'd rather not apply?
    Is there a log diary where you "pretend" you've applied for. (Jobs)
    2. Are the advisors mean? I have anxiety issues and freak out in confrontation or anything.
    3. As I have anxiety, public transport is hard for me, so I'm hoping they'll send me too a closer job centre. Can they do this?
    4. Can they check your buying history?
    I'll be looking for jobs everyday as I'm doing now so there's no problem there. Just really worried, please help!
    Sophie

ReputationRep:
    1- They can check on one site (I forget the name, but you'll probably be told about it). Otherwise, you have to prove that you've been sticking to the agreed upon terms. A lot of advisors will have you agree to do as much as you can to find employment.

Is there a log? There should be.

2- Depends on the person. When I was on UC I had a decent advisor.

3- They'll send you where they can, most of the time this will be your closest centre.

4- Not 100% sure on this. I've heard varying things about bank statements and whether they're needed or not, though honestly, they wont exactly get much by looking at your statement, they just see who the money is going to as well as a few other things (how/when).

(Original post by Sophie3241)
    Hey everyone, I finished college late February as I left and didn't want too continue. I'm struggling too find a job, so on Wednesday I'm signing on.. Also I have too pay my father rent and everyone, including my boyfriend wants me too sign on and I'm so nervous as it's my first time, I have a few questions;
    1. Can they check you've been applying for jobs? I wouldn't lie, but some jobs might not be for me and I'd rather not apply?
    Is there a log diary where you "pretend" you've applied for. (Jobs)
    2. Are the advisors mean? I have anxiety issues and freak out in confrontation or anything.
    3. As I have anxiety, public transport is hard for me, so I'm hoping they'll send me too a closer job centre. Can they do this?
    4. Can they check your buying history?
    I'll be looking for jobs everyday as I'm doing now so there's no problem there. Just really worried, please help!
    Sophie
    1. Yes you make an agreement with them to carry out so many actions a week. You keep a record and they ask to see it every week. They dont really have time to check, but if you are caught out then you will eb sanctioned and lose your benefits. Just do what you agree to do.

2. Get a Drs note saying you have anxiety issues and they will treat you more sympathetically. Its pot lick who your advisor might be, but make their life easu by doing as they ask and thats all they want.

3. You cna request it, but you will get sent where they decide. Drs note would make it more credible.

4. Buying history? You mean bank accounts/ credit cards? not unless they decided to starta court case against you for fraud, then they could request finacial details.

Nothing to worry about. Just do what you agree to. If you think they are asking too much or it doesnt take account of your anxiety, then tell them youd feel more comfortable with a lower amount. Dont pretend just co operate. Hopefully you get a nice advisor.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.