Constant paranoia/anxiety/worry

Announcements

Title says it all, I'm in constant paranoia about things and have been for a long time - but since entering my first relationship its been amplified quite greatly.

In the past I was mostly paranoid and anxious about things which put a pressure on myself, so driving lessons, going to school and interacting with people, going out of my comfort zone of my home, that sort of thing.

But now I've entered my first ever relationship, all of this has become a daily thing. There is always a point in the day where I will worry about something and have an elevated heart rate, irrational thoughts, a feeling of restricted breathing e.t.c I spoke to my GP about this and he was confident it was like I was suffering from an anxiety attack. I've only had a few attacks before (all relating back to my relationship) where I will have a racing heart, rapid breathing e.t.c But now I have these symptoms almost every day, not an actual attack but more towards the build up of one.

If I could pin it on a specific thing, its probably the idea of my partner cheating. So if they don't reply or are going out a lot more with friends (who I know are of the opposite gender) I will start to be paranoid and anxious. There are a lot more reasons but you should get the gist of it.

My question is how to handle this? My GP prescribed me Propranolol to help control my heart rate, they work but I dont want to be reliant on a drug to solve my issues, I'd rather get to the cause and try to stop it on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Title says it all, I'm in constant paranoia about things and have been for a long time - but since entering my first relationship its been amplified quite greatly.

In the past I was mostly paranoid and anxious about things which put a pressure on myself, so driving lessons, going to school and interacting with people, going out of my comfort zone of my home, that sort of thing.

But now I've entered my first ever relationship, all of this has become a daily thing. There is always a point in the day where I will worry about something and have an elevated heart rate, irrational thoughts, a feeling of restricted breathing e.t.c I spoke to my GP about this and he was confident it was like I was suffering from an anxiety attack. I've only had a few attacks before (all relating back to my relationship) where I will have a racing heart, rapid breathing e.t.c But now I have these symptoms almost every day, not an actual attack but more towards the build up of one.

If I could pin it on a specific thing, its probably the idea of my partner cheating. So if they don't reply or are going out a lot more with friends (who I know are of the opposite gender) I will start to be paranoid and anxious. There are a lot more reasons but you should get the gist of it.

My question is how to handle this? My GP prescribed me Propranolol to help control my heart rate, they work but I dont want to be reliant on a drug to solve my issues, I'd rather get to the cause and try to stop it on my own.
    I would suggest you try therapy. CBT might be a good one for you. It focuses on the thought patterns that lead to anxiety and why those patterns are there. It tends to be good for conditions like anxiety and OCD where your brain is basically reacting wrongly or disproprtionately to a trigger. It can really help to work out what you are thinking and how to re-model those thoughts.

I had group CBT sessions and they were very inlightening and helpful. I personally found the group aspect better- I think because there was less direct focus on me and since everybody there was in a simmilar boat I felt less crazy.

You should be able to ask your GP about it and hopefuly get a referal.

Proponolol can be good for managing the symptoms though especially if the racing heart feeling and things tend to make you more anxious or be very disruptive. I took it when I was doind exams and I found it helpful. Made me need to pee loads though :P

You could also look into meditation-like techniques to help the symptoms. Breathing exercises and something called mindfullness are things i've heard are helpful. It's a bit down to the individual and what works for them, so don't be afraid to try a few things if one doesn't seem to help. I personally didn't realy like mindfulness, I know some people who swear by it though.

Good luck finding what's right for you and getting down to that cause. Anxiety can be really tough, but it can and does get better.

ReputationRep:

Lets start with your last relationships. Did anything happen that caused you pain/heartbreak? Maybe your partner cheated, or you felt never ''good'' enough. You may be displaying signs of disassociation, that is where you feel out of body experiences, and that is linked to panic attacks. Propranolol is good for treating the adrenaline symptoms, but it doesn't eradicate the underlying cause does it? I agree with the person above, CBT or DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) could be beneficial. See your GP for a refral to Adult mental health services.

Also it may be worth pointing out that you could have a personality disorder. I’m in no way saying that you have. That would be unethical, however I’m just brining the topic to the table for you to research. Good luck with things and I would recommend going on YouTube, and searching for calming hypnosis, lay down, listen to these with headphones and they might help in the meantime.

Get him to refer you to a therpaist and some CBT training, they should give you coping exercises that you can put into action when you get near an atack.

(Original post by Kindred)
    I would suggest you try therapy. CBT might be a good one for you. It focuses on the thought patterns that lead to anxiety and why those patterns are there. It tends to be good for conditions like anxiety and OCD where your brain is basically reacting wrongly or disproprtionately to a trigger. It can really help to work out what you are thinking and how to re-model those thoughts.

I had group CBT sessions and they were very inlightening and helpful. I personally found the group aspect better- I think because there was less direct focus on me and since everybody there was in a simmilar boat I felt less crazy.

You should be able to ask your GP about it and hopefuly get a referal.

Proponolol can be good for managing the symptoms though especially if the racing heart feeling and things tend to make you more anxious or be very disruptive. I took it when I was doind exams and I found it helpful. Made me need to pee loads though :P

You could also look into meditation-like techniques to help the symptoms. Breathing exercises and something called mindfullness are things i've heard are helpful. It's a bit down to the individual and what works for them, so don't be afraid to try a few things if one doesn't seem to help. I personally didn't realy like mindfulness, I know some people who swear by it though.

Good luck finding what's right for you and getting down to that cause. Anxiety can be really tough, but it can and does get better.
    I'll definitely look into the CBT sessions, it sounds like it will help! The propranolol manages it for now and as a uni student I probably should use them for my exams too :P I'll get in touch with my GP for some more propranolol and a referral for these sessions.!
    Kind words Kindred, thank you ^_^

(Original post by waitingtoexhale)
    Lets start with your last relationships. Did anything happen that caused you pain/heartbreak? Maybe your partner cheated, or you felt never ''good'' enough. You may be displaying signs of disassociation, that is where you feel out of body experiences, and that is linked to panic attacks. Propranolol is good for treating the adrenaline symptoms, but it doesn't eradicate the underlying cause does it? I agree with the person above, CBT or DBT (Dialectical Behavioural Therapy) could be beneficial. See your GP for a refral to Adult mental health services.

Also it may be worth pointing out that you could have a personality disorder. I’m in no way saying that you have. That would be unethical, however I’m just brining the topic to the table for you to research. Good luck with things and I would recommend going on YouTube, and searching for calming hypnosis, lay down, listen to these with headphones and they might help in the meantime.
    Unfortunately I havent had a previous relationship, I guess I am just in constant worry that I wont be good enough and they will move on to someone better, no matter how much they reassure me they wont or how I'm the one for them. Yeah Propranolol helps in the short term but like you say it does not eliminate the cause. I agree, CBT/DBT sessions sound like a good course of action to deal with this all.I've definitely considered whether I have a personality disorder, I guess I havent seen anyone professionally about it yet, maybe it would be a good idea to try that out too. Yeah I do try to use visual and audio aids to try and calm me down, always loved a dark city scene with street lights, distant/muffled music - like a retro synthwave movie
    Thank you for the help, its greatly appreciated.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Get him to refer you to a therpaist and some CBT training, they should give you coping exercises that you can put into action when you get near an atack.
    Yeah after reading the responses and looking into it its definitely a good plan of action.

Thank you for the response!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I havent had a previous relationship, I guess I am just in constant worry that I wont be good enough and they will move on to someone better, no matter how much they reassure me they wont or how I'm the one for them. Yeah Propranolol helps in the short term but like you say it does not eliminate the cause. I agree, CBT/DBT sessions sound like a good course of action to deal with this all.I've definitely considered whether I have a personality disorder, I guess I havent seen anyone professionally about it yet, maybe it would be a good idea to try that out too. Yeah I do try to use visual and audio aids to try and calm me down, always loved a dark city scene with street lights, distant/muffled music - like a retro synthwave movie
    Thank you for the help, its greatly appreciated.
    Could you be addicted to the feeling of anxiety? I know it sounds rather barbaric, but if you endure something long enough, it becomes a comfortable blanket as you know how your going to feel? - Just food for thought!

It sounds like you have low self esteem, do you often worry your essays aren't good enough? If this is the case, I would find something your brilliant at and really work on it! We are all good at something!

Personality disorders are not a fun game; I suffer from them. However, with the right approach you can get over whatever troubles you face!
    Also, I know this may be very basic, but tell your partner how you feel, maybe write a letter to them, so they can fully understand how much of a issue this is, and ask them for reassurance. It’s not being needy, its communicating how you feel. If she/he doesn’t respond, then I would consider a new partner or time alone to really understand yourself! Sensory aids are amazing! I love listening to them whilst I fall asleep haha!

Best wishes!

Yeah after reading the responses and looking into it its definitely a good plan of action.

Thank you for the response!
    It makes sense to sort it out now properly before it starts to be a reallt big inflience in your life and hampers your A levels or university. I agree its better to try and tak the course, but dont discount medication.

These anxiety issues are often linked to self esteem issues, so you may need to readjust how you think and live your life so its more positive and you engage in activities which give you confidence.

I would worry less about the relationship, other than you might not enter another one ubnril you feel comfy you can cope. Its a learning experience.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.