Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What does these symbols mean in logic gates? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    AvB = A AND B?
    ¬(AvB) = NOT (A AND B)?
    A^B = A OR B?
    ¬(AvB) v (A^B) = NOT(A AND B) AND (A OR B)

Is this right?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Not quite: ∧ is logical conjunction (AND) whilst ∨ is logical disjunction (OR). You're right, though, that ¬ is logical negation (NOT), alternatively denoted as a bar above.

ReputationRep:
    AND and OR are the wrong way round but besides that you're good to go.

(Original post by Flame Alchemist)
    Not quite: ∧ is logical conjunction (AND) whilst ∨ is logical disjunction (OR). You're right, though, that ¬ is logical negation (NOT), alternatively denoted as a bar above.
    I learned it as a line above, myself.

Then again, I've written more logic in C than I have on paper, so I'm probably more used to !, && and ||.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I learned it as a line above, myself.

Then again, I've written more logic in C than I have on paper, so I'm probably more used to !, && and ||.
    Me too, actually; I've always preferred that as a more compact grouping. Luckily assessments don't seem to care, considering the 'preferred' notation changes between fields :rolleyes:

(Original post by Flame Alchemist)
    Me too, actually; I've always preferred that as a more compact grouping. Luckily assessments don't seem to care, considering the 'preferred' notation changes between fields :rolleyes:
    Yep. I learned boolean algebra when studying electronics, so the notation I know natively is (IIRC) a cross for OR and a circle for AND. I prefer diagrams though; there's less arguing about thouse :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks guys!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.