Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Edexcel GCSE RE?

ReputationRep:
    How to improve at RE? How to answer each type of question (a, b, c and d) for both topics (Religion and Life and Religion and Society). for Religion and Life we need a good knowledge of Christian views/non-religious views but for Religion and Society, we need to know Christian, Muslim and Non-religious views.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise you to write flashcards for your view points

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey! If you need help with RE, feel free to message me or go to my google doc to find essay plans! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishy789)
    How to improve at RE? How to answer each type of question (a, b, c and d) for both topics (Religion and Life and Religion and Society). for Religion and Life we need a good knowledge of Christian views/non-religious views but for Religion and Society, we need to know Christian, Muslim and Non-religious views.
    Are you doing the A*-G spec- if you are you only need to know about one religon even if you want an A*

ReputationRep:
    a) worth 2 marks, this is literally just a definition or example. You can find the exact definition for each word they've could ask you for on the Edexcel RE specification

b) worth 4 marks, this will be a "do you think" type question so you MUST GIVE YOUR OPINION. You must say whether you agree or disagree and then give 2 reasons to back it up. Alternatively, you could state that you partially agree with it and state one reason why you do and one why you don't, but you must then be careful not to contradict yourself. This method is a bit riskier but if you can't think of 2 reasons then it's better than only answering half the question. It is not necessary to include a religious viewpoint in your answer, but if one applies to the question then there is no reason why you shouldn't.

c) worth 8 marks, this will be a longer, "explain" type question. The vital thing about part c questions is you must include at least one, but no more than two religions in your answer. The easiest way to approach this question is to think of 4 brief points with very little explanation. Alternatively you could choose to develop a couple of your answers if you feel that you can't think of 4 points, but again this is a slightly riskier option due to subjectivity of what classes as "developed" and what doesn't. You must write in prose rather than use bullet points, as QWC is assessed in this section.

d) worth a total of 6 marks, this question is split into two sub-questions. You will be given a statement, which usually concerns a religion, and you will be asked whether you agree or not. In part (i), you must state whether you agree and give 3 brief reasons for your opinion (there are other ways to attempt this but again this is the easiest way). In part (ii) you need to explain why some people may disagree with you. You must mention a religion somewhere in your answer, whether that be in your opinion or a reason why some people may disagree with you. I believe if you don't mention a religion at all you are limited to 3 marks for question d.

I took RE GCSE this year and came out with an A. I made revision cards for unit 1 and unit 8 so if they are relevant to you and you would like to use them then just let me know

ReputationRep:
    The structure is so simple
    2marker definition for key word(edexcel is quite picky so just learn its definition- I did, every single one of them pretty much)
    4 marker - basically two developed points no evidence needed it's all ur opinion
    6marker 3 developed points with Christian reference (or any other religion
    8 marker religion include and 4 developed points
    I mad e flashcards for keywords and did all the hard q's that have ever popped up and did those again and again (our teacher gave us a list of all the q's that have ever come up and I highlighted tricky ones)
    Also be specific with evidence - "love thy neighbour" isn't specific enough for everything and you may not be awarded for reacting such quotations so try to give unique ones e.g for government. You could say "the powers that be are ordained by God"
    Trust me do all this and you're well on the way to getting an A*
    Sounds like your in yr10 so u have ages to grasp structure etc
    I got a C in my yr11 mock but did all of the above and got an A* (trust me it's an easy A*!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    a) worth 2 marks, this is literally just a definition or example. You can find the exact definition for each word they've could ask you for on the Edexcel RE specification

b) worth 4 marks, this will be a "do you think" type question so you MUST GIVE YOUR OPINION. You must say whether you agree or disagree and then give 2 reasons to back it up. Alternatively, you could state that you partially agree with it and state one reason why you do and one why you don't, but you must then be careful not to contradict yourself. This method is a bit riskier but if you can't think of 2 reasons then it's better than only answering half the question. It is not necessary to include a religious viewpoint in your answer, but if one applies to the question then there is no reason why you shouldn't.

c) worth 8 marks, this will be a longer, "explain" type question. The vital thing about part c questions is you must include at least one, but no more than two religions in your answer. The easiest way to approach this question is to think of 4 brief points with very little explanation. Alternatively you could choose to develop a couple of your answers if you feel that you can't think of 4 points, but again this is a slightly riskier option due to subjectivity of what classes as "developed" and what doesn't. You must write in prose rather than use bullet points, as QWC is assessed in this section.

d) worth a total of 6 marks, this question is split into two sub-questions. You will be given a statement, which usually concerns a religion, and you will be asked whether you agree or not. In part (i), you must state whether you agree and give 3 brief reasons for your opinion (there are other ways to attempt this but again this is the easiest way). In part (ii) you need to explain why some people may disagree with you. You must mention a religion somewhere in your answer, whether that be in your opinion or a reason why some people may disagree with you. I believe if you don't mention a religion at all you are limited to 3 marks for question d.

I took RE GCSE this year and came out with an A. I made revision cards for unit 1 and unit 8 so if they are relevant to you and you would like to use them then just let me know
    thanks for the tip, and yes please, may i use them. that would help a lot, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glassanimal)
    Are you doing the A*-G spec- if you are you only need to know about one religon even if you want an A*
    yes im doing the a* to g spec

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iluvcats)
    Hey! If you need help with RE, feel free to message me or go to my google doc to find essay plans! x
    hey and yes please. is it ok if you share them with me

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the tip, and yes please, may i use them. that would help a lot, thanks
    Yep of course:
    Believing in God: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...ving-in-god-20
    Matters of Life and Death: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...e-and-death-10
    Marriage and the Family: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...d-the-family-6
    Religion and Community Cohesion: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...ity-cohesion-5

Rights and Responsibilities: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...sponsibilities
    Environmental and Medical Issues: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...medical-issues
    Peace and Conflict: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...e-and-conflict
    Crime and Punishment: https://getrevising.co.uk/revision-c...and-punishment

Enjoy!

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.