Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Government are insane - Manchester 'betrayed' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ne...ram_plans.html

The government are refusing to finance the metrolink expansion in Manchester. They promised three extra lines and extensions to the airport. The worst thing is, the city is half way through the bloody development, there's already £200m worth of infrastructure around which is useless without the remaining investment. They've flattened people's homes, only to randomly pull out. I don't understand how they can get off doing that without getting utterly lynched?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)

The government are refusing to finance the metrolink expansion in Manchester. They promised three extra lines and extensions to the airport. The worst thing is, the city is half way through the bloody development, there's already £200m worth of infrastructure around which is useless without the remaining investment. They've flattened people's homes, only to randomly pull out. I don't understand how they can get off doing that without getting utterly lynched?
    Thats government ptransport policy for you. Light rail is currently out of favour - it used to be very much in favour on the grounds that it is too expensive. ASIUI the current system is good for the city center and they will use this as a justification. It is possible they will come back to it at a later date.
    The bill for the 'propper' railways -what used to be called British Rail are much higher than anticipated and there seems to be difficulty in reducing them, despite new fines plans and so there a shortage of money in the transport budget. I will let my friends on uk.railway know and see if I can get some more in depth comment for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    Thats government ptransport policy for you. Light rail is currently out of favour - it used to be very much in favour on the grounds that it is too expensive. ASIUI the current system is good for the city center and they will use this as a justification. It is possible they will come back to it at a later date.
    The bill for the 'propper' railways -what used to be called British Rail are much higher than anticipated and there seems to be difficulty in reducing them, despite new fines plans and so there a shortage of money in the transport budget. I will let my friends on uk.railway know and see if I can get some more in depth comment for you.
    I understand that they are somewhat disillusioned with it, but the increasing costs are surely tiny compared to the waste which is spending £200m on a brand new infrastructure but then abandoning it half way through.

ReputationRep:
    light rail isnt out of favour in london - only last week under the "10 year transport plan" quite a few big-budget projects were announced in parliament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    light rail isnt out of favour in london - only last week under the "10 year transport plan" quite a few big-budget projects were announced in parliament
    I think it would be seen as unacceptable to axe say crossrail development.

ReputationRep:

Oh, get over it, and learn to drive a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Oh, get over it, and learn to drive a car.
    You're right, but AT's gone away, I have double the bidding for manchester to do.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, but AT's gone away, I have double the bidding for manchester to do.
    Ahh, I was wondering why there was a lack of 'server busy' messages.

ReputationRep:
    Crossrail, East London line extension, Tramlink extension... Hehe. At least London's gonna be sorted...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    CrossRail is not light rail. It is a hybird of tube and 'BR'. The last Light rail project in the London area was the Croydon trams. Under Prescott the target was to double light rail schemes, now this has been scrapped in favour of busses, cycling etc.
    It does seem strange to get half way through a project and leave it, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    CrossRail is not light rail.
    I was talking about the new tram schemes in east london, west london, and the north-south link. (the "east london transit" and "greenwich waterfront transit", "west london transit", and the "cross river transit" respectively) - plus the extensions to teh croydon tramlink and the DLR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I was talking about the new tram schemes in east london, west london, and the north-south link. (the "east london transit" and "greenwich waterfront transit", "west london transit", and the "cross river transit" respectively) - plus the extensions to teh croydon tramlink and the DLR
    I'm sorry - I thought you were reffering to CrossRail. However, if you look up the targets, you'll find that light rail is out of favour. London allways does better in transport terms, but even then people say it is not enough.
    This country has allways had a short sighted attitude when it comes to transport. I know more about railways then roads and know for a fact that since governmental control in 1947 there have been many wasted opertunites. One of the worst being the BR modernisation plan of the 1950s - a real lost chance. Stop-start polcies throught the 1970s and 1980s never helped and the privitsation of BR in 1993 - just after the sucess of OfQ was a true disater.
    The Manchester move is short sighted at best, down right foolish at worst.
    However other light rail schemes such as Sheffield and Nottingham are not as popular and anticipated and looses are mugh higher than anticipated - hence the reluctance to sanction another one.
    The DLR does not have these probelms and has a lower running cost, through a higher installation cost.

ReputationRep:
    The way to get their attention is to organise a march against there policy hand out leaflets!It will work i guarenty it,u might get the media1who nos?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.