How to cope with negative emotions?

Announcements

Hi, basically I just feel like I am overwhelmed with sad emotions for a while. Basically, my friends will come to me telling me about their problems at school and when I get home, I help my mum out with depression. I just feel like I have sucked in all the negative thoughts and really need to get it out. I help my mum cope with this every day when I get home. Any advice on how to be slightly happier? I am not suicidal or anything , I am optimistic but I can't help feeling down...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, basically I just feel like I am overwhelmed with sad emotions for a while. Basically, my friends will come to me telling me about their problems at school and when I get home, I help my mum out with depression. I just feel like I have sucked in all the negative thoughts and really need to get it out. I help my mum cope with this every day when I get home. Any advice on how to be slightly happier? I am not suicidal or anything , I am optimistic but I can't help feeling down...

Thanks
    Find some form of release or something to keep you busy / keep your mind off of things. I guess you can't really help being around that negative energy but me for example, going to see football kind of helps in that way as does watching comedy programs and reading a book on transport etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Thanks
    Finding somebody to talk to could help. You sound like you are having to take on a lot and it's no supprise you are feeling like this. Mind.org has some advice for people caring for or who know people with mh problems like depression so that could be a good place to start.
    A counselor or therapist could also offer you a way to get it out. You can ask your school, college or uni about what counseling service they have (there will be one) or talk to your doctor about therapy.

It is worth seeking support before you get to an overwhealmed point so don't be afraid to reach out.

ReputationRep:
    Accept that these are perfectly normal feelings and if need be find someone you can trust and talk about them

No one's alone my friend.

ReputationRep:
    It indicates that you have good listening skills! Are you trying too hard to help? The effective helper needs to be detached slightly to avoid feeling guilty or responsible. It takes practise. Remember that they make the choices that influence their lives; you make the choices that influence yours. Help to focus them on taking ownership of their lives. Ask them what they can do to help resolve their problems. You are not abandoning them by taking time out from their problems. Give yourself some space every now and again to recover. Unless you have ways that help yourself, you will feel the burden of responsiblity.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.