ReputationRep:
    take medication, write down my feelings, talk to my mum, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saraxh)
    How do you deal with anxiety?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Curious
    Just stop it. Have confidence and self respect. You have the power and ability to become a better person any time you like. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from several anxiety disorders - OCD, BDD, generalised anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia.

I can't take meds atm due to side effects in the past plus my OCD contamination fears make me believe everything I eat, drink, touch etc is laced with poison or drugs so that makes taking simple painkillers difficult, let alone things like antidepressants. Throughout my life, its mainly been therapy/counselling and self help I've used. For everyday anxiety or panic attacks, I cannot recommend the teachings of Dr Claire Weekes enough. Her books and audio tapes are what got me out of being housebound a few years ago. She puts things in a way that is empathetic but firm and gentle enough for you to follow, even if you are at your worst.

Other things I do are to try and eat as healthy as possible - I still eat a lot of crap and drink occasionally but I know my limits, I exercise more often, I speak openly about how I am feeling instead of bottling it in like I used to - I talk to my mum, my partner, friends or even to people on here. When I was at my worst with panic attacks, I made what I called a Challenge Chart. I wrote down all the things I was terrified to do such as going outside, going on a bus, waiting in a queue and I made myself do each thing at least 5 times over a month and each time I would score how hard it was and each time it got easier and easier and each time the score went down, the more my confidence grew. I think a challenge chart works well for general and social anxiety too.

(Original post by saraxh)
    Ya. I focus on consciously thinking about how irrational my anxiety-causing thoughts are.

ReputationRep:
    I do. I spend most of my day *****ing myself about the health and wellbeing of my family, my future, my career and my financial situation. I spend hours thinking about my patients and whether or not I did the right thing for them. I'm anxious that tomorrow will be the day that everything finally caves in on me.

How do I deal with it? I man up. I step back and realise it's not just me who's going through this ****. This anxiety is a part of life, and I know I need to get used to it if I'm going to get anywhere. It might not be the healthiest way to deal with things, but it's the only way I know that ensures I can serve as a member of society while keeping food on my plate and a roof over my head.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I have it and struggle immensely!
    I avoid doing things because of it!

I don't. I sit alone in a room for as much of the time as possible, never answer the phone and will avoid doing anything at all unless lack of action will force me into a worse situation. Even then tbh it's a push to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    I have it and struggle immensely!
    I avoid doing things because of it!
    Same man. I can't even do really basic sh*t these days.

ReputationRep:
    It's epidemic at the moment

ReputationRep:
    stop believing you have anxiety.
    putting yourself into that group by your own accord is going to make it much harder to conquer it.

ReputationRep:
    You can't 'just stop' having mental health issues like it's a lifestyle choice as one or two people may suggest. It takes time and work, as I'm sure you know. But OP, I find just getting myself to the supermarket or something helps a lot. I don't go out much, but keeping myself away from people for too long makes it worse so just popping out and being around people, even if I don't talk to anyone, helps a lot. I also try to accomplish something every day, even if it's something small like going outside or getting a start on a piece of work. I'm not sure if you're seeing someone about it, but it's definitely worth it. There's a lot that your GP can do/refer you to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Youtuber starter park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Same man. I can't even do really basic sh*t these days.
    Sucks doesn't it!
    Must a,ways work on defeating this though! Never give up!
    We will all be victorious!

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    I have it - it's ****.
    I find that just writing down my thoughts really helps to stop them from going round in my head.
    Sometimes I listen to mindfulness or do breathing exercises.
    Bach Rescue Remedy sometimes works too - it doesn't take the anxiety away completely, but it does help to calm you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFam)
    stop believing you have anxiety.
    putting yourself into that group by your own accord is going to make it much harder to conquer it.
    As is denying it's a legitimate problem. I understand your sentiment though, I just disagree.

ReputationRep:
    I actually led a project to tackle and raise awareness about topics regarding Health and Wellbeing - anxiety was one of the things we focused on. I can share some stuff we produced and other helpful things if it is something that's a bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    As is denying it's a legitimate problem. I understand your sentiment though, I just disagree.
    This was my own personal method for how I've dealt with anxiety.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.